Support blocker needs more options

Herlock

Posted · Support blocker needs more options

Hi gang,

So I had to print something with a bunch of holes in it, so I had to use the blocker to prevent cura from generating supports in those things (since they don't need them). I needed support somewhere else so I couldn't just cheat with blocking supports entirely or playing around with overhang angle in my case.

Went the slow and painful process of adding support blocker cubes... way too many of them.

Would be cool to be able to reshape the size of the support blocker. Or have a type of blocker that is just put on the printer bed and will apply to everything above it.

Whatever the implementation : more fine tuning of support blocker would be great, because placing cubes by hand one by one isn't fun (at all).

Thanks for your time and good job with cura in general, it's a great piece of software !

Hey @Herlock,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

@nallath is right, you can turn any model  into a support blocker, and you can move and resize it like any other model. 

Here is a quick demo:

ezgif-4-f7a917c110.gif.c39b5c1e97bc8efe440499d9c19d5c4d.gif

Hope this saves you some time in the future 😅

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @nallath and @MariMakes !

So I tried and it doesn't seem to be working : That medaillon is set as "don't support overlaps" like in your demo, but supports are still generated. I tried with other models I had available, no better luck.

If you don't mind me insisting : resize handles on the regular support blocks is propably more user friendly, although I appreciate that there is a way to do what I am looking for (even I can model a cube in fusion). Well that is if I can understand how to make it work 😄

image.thumb.png.c80537592f215e8b6b21cbea9cff838f.png

In Preveiw mode, if you look at the underside of a model you will see surfaces colored red.  Those are the areas that will need support (according to the overhang angle you set).  Those red areas must be covered by a support blocker in order to block the support.  The blocker doesn't need to go down to the build plate, just cover the red surface, or in some cases, part of the red surface.

Here there are three blockers that I've made 30mm in the Y

image.thumb.png.bc8086e14378d7cc084c752aeed2612b.png

There are no supports where they've touched the red overhang surface.

image.thumb.png.6730472f9db92bcb1ffe6574f6f9ee86.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Support blocker needs more options
    On 12/30/2022 at 4:31 PM, Herlock said:

Would be cool to be able to reshape the size of the support blocker. Or have a type of blocker that is just put on the printer bed and will apply to everything above it.

Like :

https://github.com/5axes/CustomSupportEraserPlus

Edited by Cuq
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1