Having a slicing problem

Bigiron750
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Having a slicing problem

Hello I am new to 3d printing. I have been using cura slicer since I started. I am printing a boat hall and when I rotate it 180 degrees it gets a space between the print . Was wondering if anyone has seen this before and how can I fix it? I attached 2 photos. The first one is the way i would like to print it but it gets that space missing. The second one is if i rotate 180 it is fine.          Thank you 

20230106_182129.jpg

20230106_182209.jpg

• Solution

You have a problem with the model itself.  If you are using Windows you could try to use MS 3D Builder to repair the model.

Airplane parts and boat parts are tricky though.  Some are modeled just as surfaces rather than solids and attempting to fix them results in a loss of detail and/or areas getting filled in.  Give it a shot though and look closely at the Cura Preview to insure nothing truly Stoopid happened.

There are also different slicing modes.  Under the Cura Special Modes section you can select a different "Surface Mode" and see if it makes a difference.

11 hours ago, GregValiant said:

You have a problem with the model itself.  If you are using Windows you could try to use MS 3D Builder to repair the model.

Airplane parts and boat parts are tricky though.  Some are modeled just as surfaces rather than solids and attempting to fix them results in a loss of detail and/or areas getting filled in.  Give it a shot though and look closely at the Cura Preview to insure nothing truly Stoopid happened.

There are also different slicing modes.  Under the Cura Special Modes section you can select a different "Surface Mode" and see if it makes a difference.

Yep.  That's one of the tell-tales of a model problem.  Another is disappearing sections.  A third is when Cura shows a model with purple polka-dots.

You can see in the image with the gap that Cura figured it needed top layers in there when it should have been all infill with walls around it.

14 hours ago, GregValiant said:

So if the one that is flipped and looks good would it print without a gap? 

It should print like the preview shows it.  I have to say though that my confidence isn't high that something will not be amiss.  Go over the preview closely and make sure any internal structures are getting printed.

Thank you Greg I went into ms 3d and found a small hole in the file. So cura was pulling the whole peice out. Repaired it and it now slices fine. Thanks again 

• Like 1

Perfect.  Another problem solved.

I've found boat hulls to be not-so-bad.  Airplanes are much fussier about weight and some of the wing designs are really tough to get to print correctly.