Um2+ main board aging: adding a fan to cool the board ?

Coyote_Blue
Go to solution Solved by Torgeir,

Posted · Um2+ main board aging: adding a fan to cool the board ?

Hello 

After more than 10 years and about 7000h of printing time, my UM2+ failed a few weeks ago. I successfully replaced the main board and it is printing on… However the motor drivers areas on the removed board were yellow /brown and the wires to the steppers were very degraded by heat.  I intend to add a fan for better thermal protection of the board enclosure. I noticed a connector marked « fan » on the um2+ board. Could anyone tell if this connector is usable for the purpose?

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · Um2+ main board aging: adding a fan to cool the board ?

Hi @Coyote_Blue,

Sure I can.

I have been using this output (24 VDC) since 2016 for two 12 VDC fans, connected in serial for cooling the main PCB that have been working perfectly all the time and still do.

Number one problem for the electronics is the "overheat" that is killing the semiconductors, number two problem -is the humidity!

Those two fans have cooled the whole upper part of the main board. There is no brownish colored stepper driver circuits and the board look as new after seven year..

So, go and use it, this is your best ensourement!  Just use it!

This is a direct 24 VDC when power switch is turned on.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Edited text.
    • Thanks 1