Starting my 3D Print Journey: Any tips?

phantomp97

Posted · Starting my 3D Print Journey: Any tips?

Hi All! I just got my first 3D printer (Anycubic Kobra Neo) and am excited to start my journey. I'm thinking I want to first make some Pokemon prints. Are there any good sites for finding files/templates (not sure what the right term is, please educate me) that I can start off with? Or if you have some good non-Pokemon resources I'll take those as well--I really just want to get into it as quickly as possible, start playing around and have fun. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to 3D printing.

The most common sites for free 3D files are

https://www.thingiverse.com 

https://www.printables.com  and

https://www.youmagine.com 

there are a lot other sites in the web. Just ask your preferred search engine for 3d files, 3d templates or stl-files.

Regards

#1.  Relax.  There are learning curves involved.

#2.  Go over that new printer with a fine-tooth comb.  A printer that is not mechanically calibrated (all axis MUST be 90° to each other) will not produce good prints.  Do not assume that because some parts were factory assembled that they were assembled correctly.  The includes the amount of pressure that the trolley wheels exert in their slots.

#3.  Calibrate the E-steps/mm.  It is insurance against starting out over-extruding or under-extruding.

#4.  Go to the Cura Marketplace (icon in the upper right corner) and load the "Settings Guide", the "Mesh Tools", and the "Calibration Shapes".

#5.  Print stuff.  Practice makes perfect.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the input. The other thing I'm running into is seeing models that come in multiple parts. For example (with Pokemon), Pikachu Thor has 4 parts and it looks like they might just "fit" together, whereas Charizard has multiple parts but no indication how to assemble them. In these cases, do I print "with supports" and then bond them together, or am I supposed to assemble in Cura?

So far having success,

Thanks!

There should be some instructions included either on the website you download from (like Thingiverse) or as a readme in the download.

Some models are configured to be printed using multi-extruder printers to print the separate parts in different colors.  They would need to be assembled and merged in Cura.

Some models are made to be assembled after printing.  Super Glue works well on PLA and PETG.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Learning Curves, Learning Curves.  When You encounter a problem.......ASK around.

Be cautious when Someone says "You Need to Buy This" or that.

Ambient temperature and humidity can affect your whole print job.

Thermal properties of co-polymers (Plastics) are "Wicked" to say the least.

With that said,   I love having a 3D Printer.   It's a lot less costly, to "throw away" some plastic,

than to make certified blue prints, buy exotic metals, run thru expensive machine shop services,  spending a few Million Dollars in the process,

I am always building something.  Sometimes Handy.  Sometimes a little strange.

Thing is,...... give yourself a chance, be Patient.  Be Creative.  Have FUN!