Education resources for teachers/students

3dzeke

Posted (edited) · Education resources for teachers/students

Hello,

My Name is Zeke and I am a 3d printer afterschool program instructor.  I was searching for 3d printing lesson plans and had trouble finding resources for students.  I found some that were helpful and I also decided to make some of my own for use in my afterschool program.  I thought I would share this lesson here, it is about designing, in tinkercad, and then printing a tic-tak-toe board.  In a later video I plan to show how to slice it to print with two colors on an Ultimaker S5.  If other people had useful links I would appreciate if they posted them as well.

Edited by 3dzeke

Posted · Education resources for teachers/students

What age group?  I came up with a quick lesson plan for designing a soap dish with tinkercad.  We all do the steps together and then they come up with their own idea and design something.

I think it's best to walk around their own house and try to think of something they need.  Usually the kitchen has the most needs whether it's a bracket or a holder or whatever. If it's a teenager or younger - ask mom or dad about kitchen needs ideas.  Keep it super simple like an L bracket.

I don't like to teach slicers or how to use the printers as that keeps changing.  A few times per year.  It's not a lifeskill you can learn in a quick course because next year all the printers will be different and the slicers will have new features and so on.

• Like 1

I am working in a middle school, but the students have all different skill levels when it comes to tinkercad with some being very proficient while others struggle with copy and paste.  Ideally I would like to have lessons that everyone could do but where the proficient students can work on their own, but the students who need it can get plenty of support.  That is why I am trying to make videos, as some of the more advanced students just glance at my design and can work on their own after that, but it gives step by step instructions for those that need it.  Also if students are following a video it allows me to walk around the class and provide support.

• Like 1

Alternatively some teachers will pair up good with "bad".  On the downside the good student often just does all the work and the "bad" student is day dreaming and not paying full attention.

Youtube is a good place to find tutorials, especially for very specific objects. Search for "cad how to design a [object] in [3D-program]", and similar.

For the free software DesignSpark Mechanical (from RS-components), you can also use the basic manuals of Spaceclaim, since DSM is a limited version of Spaceclaim.

I love DSM but I think tinkercad is easier to teach.  And it teaches you a new way to think.  It's all about adding and subtracting shapes.  DSM is more about the pull feature.  Almost everying is the pull/push feature (and drawing on a plane and then extruding with pull/push feature, lol).

Nice.  Watched.  Have you seen this video of the guy who made the lobster in tinkerCad?  I learned a lot from this video.  🙂