Hello. 3D Scanner advice?

matt_dt

Posted · Hello. 3D Scanner advice?

Hello fellow ultimakers!

I got my Ultimaker 2 last week, so I'm still at the point where I get withdrawal symptoms when I'm away from it! Very impressed with its speed and accuracy so far.

Anyway... I'm looking at scanners, preferably cheap ish (!). But it needs to be able to run a decent scan to a definition that will print nicely on my ultimaker. I need to be able to scan objects up to about 2 sqaure metres, perhaps a bit. So far, I've come across the Sense scanner (a 3D systems one!), which outputs to STL, so should be good with my ultimaker.

Has anyone had any experience with this, or got any advice on other scanners?

Cheers,

Matt

The sense scanner is just a kinect / asus xtion with a sexy package. In my opinion it's totally not worth the premium price they are asking for it.

Do you plan to scale the objects? That tends to decrease the need for high accuracy somewhat. I've seen pretty decent prints of scanned people, even though the full model didn't look that impressive.

Hi nallath, thanks for the info. Smaller objects won't be scaled, so I will need to retain detail. Although it looks like you need to spend upwards of £3k to get hold of a "hi-def" scanner. The decision then lies in the need for detail!

The sense looks like an easy out-of-the-box option, and it does look pretty good! I'll do some more digging into the kinect and xtion options before committing. :)

Thanks again.

David + beamer + camera package costs you about 2k. I've not worked with their software, but most of their results speak for themselves.

There is a bit of tweaking required to get nice quality models, but from the looks of it, these shouldn't be harder then the tweaking needed for ultimakers.

Also; there are lens sets for asus xtion; which decrease the viewing angle (They function as a sort of reading glasses). This results in better quality scans, but it will take more tweaking & experimentation to get 'right'

I've pre-ordered the Structure Sensor ($349) http://structure.io

That sensor is little more then a kinect sensor in a smaller package. Don't expect great quality from it.

My votes for the David Scanner, I have had the kinect and now the carmine 1.09 which is a big leap in quality with the reading glasses hack. But the David scanner is the only one I have seen with true high res output and a not ridiculous price. Already saving for the David Scanner SLS 2.

The sense is a carmine in nice box so don't expect too much.

Bonjour avez vous ce scanner fuel?Quand pensez vous?

http://www.fuel-3d.com/fuel3d-america-debut-round-up/

I plan on getting a Sense in the near future...

Hi every one.

I am planning to buy an ultimaker 2, and i am new commer in 3d printing. can you please suggest which 3d scanner is a better one. i have seen sense from 3d systems. will sense work good with ultimaker2. cura connectivity with sense?

p.s. when ultimaker2 will be wifi enabled?

There is no such thing as a 'better' 3D scanner. It depends on what you want to scan, how much knowledge you have and what detail / accuracy you need.

If you want to scan the heads of people, the sense will sortof work. If you have a bit of technical knowledge, buy a asus xtion / kinect instead. If you have a STL, Cura will probably be able to print it.

We can't say anything on wifi.