Part dimensions/model are different after slicing compared to model

bsommeri
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Part dimensions/model are different after slicing compared to model

This is not the first time I have experienced this. After slicing the sliced model is not the same as the part. For example the square slot is about 0.300in per side straight back, but the sliced part has an angle on the top. This should not need supports and even when I auto generate supports it does not put supports in the model, it just angles the top down. Suggestions? When I go to another slicer it produces the sliced model like it should. Thanks in advance.

cura model.JPG

cura sliced.JPG

Hi @bsommeri,

Welcome in here.

You give us very little information, -we need to know a lot more in order to give good advice.

So, -we'll like to see your project file. This file giving us your object and all the settings for printing this object.

However, for this problem you may click on your print object so you see that the object is selected (X,Y and Z axis is shown), then select  "rotate" at the menu at left side (now you will see circles around these axes) .  Be sure to uncheck the "snap rotation". All this is done when your "nnn.stl" model is viewed in "Preview" mode (in your Cura version).

Now, rotate your model around Z axis and see how your model look like for every deg you change.

You'll need to wait until the preview update for any small change you make, try this and see if the missing details appear..

Have a little patience when doing this.  🙂

Sometimes this might help in order to "see the right" triangles in your model.

This small adjustment sometimes help when "those" triangles is not detected as it should be.

Thanks

Torgeir

• Solution

Check that the setting "Make Overhangs Printable" is turned off.  It will add chamfers to overhangs to...you know... make them printable.

In your sliced view that pocket looks deeper than in the preview so it might be a model issue.  As Torgeir points out, a project file will tell the tale.

• Like 1

So I’m printing an emblem and it’s very detailed when I slice it it looks normal but when I go to print it just fills in all the detail and makes the object a solid disk.  The latest update has done it on several prints I have tried and now I’m stuck.

Make sure you don't have "Remove all Holes" enabled.

A project file is the best way to show what's going on.  Load the model, set Cura up to slice, and use the "File | Save Project" command and then post the 3mf Project File here.

Hi there,

I was "far" away thinking about another problem, -hmm about very detailed, or small object and (as an example) a tiny high wing section for an RC aircraft model.

I found that some small turning around the Z axe of the model often makes wonder of the outcome of slicing.

This is a model without any "leakage" (not water tight -as we say) before start slicing.

Well, just a hint..

Torgeir