Cura not generating retractions and "G1 E" commands?

jenga

Posted (edited) · Cura not generating retractions and "G1 E" commands?

Hi,

I'm using Cura Version 5.2.2 on Windows 11 (OS build : 22621.1265).

I've been trying to tune my retractions for my Creality Ender 3 3D printer running Klipper, using this model. I also tried generating a retraction tower in Cura. However, I noticed that the stringing in my prints looked absolutely identical regardless of the retraction settings (varied distance while keeping retraction speed constant at 40mm/s). I have a Direct Drive setup with my Ender 3, and should have a retraction distance around 1.2mm  probably. However, despite varying retraction between 1mm and 7mm, there was absolutely no difference between the prints. They looked completely identical, including the stringing.

When I opened up the .gcode files that were generated for these STLs, I noticed that there was only one "G1 E" command at the very end of the file. As you know, "G1 E-3 F2400" for example indicates a retraction of 3 mm at 2400mm/min. I've attached an example Benchy .gcode file, and you can see there are no G1 E commands.

I've also attached my Cura profile as an easy-to-view HTML file, which I used to slice the attached Bench.gcode file. As you can see, retractions are enabled.

I tried slicing in Prusa Slicer, and I see lots of "G1 E" commands in the .gcode files produced by Prusa Slicer. Teaching Tech's retraction tests also have lots of "G1 E" commands. I found this random Benchy.gcode, and it also has lots of "G1 E" commands.

I also tried many previous versions of Cura, and slicing in those still didn't produce "G1 E" commands.

What am I doing wrong? Is Cura doing something differently? Are "G1 E" commands supposed to not show up? Why am I getting identical prints despite wildly varying retraction distances?

Benchy.gcode Cura_Settings.zip

Edited by jenga
Adding Benchy.gcode example

Posted · Cura not generating retractions and "G1 E" commands?
    On 2/25/2023 at 5:28 AM, jenga said:

What am I doing wrong? Is Cura doing something differently?

There are roughly 1700 "G1 E" commands in the provided gcode file.

Maybe the order of parameters is different from what you're searching for?
    Just search for "G1 F2400 E" and you'll find them all.

For example:

image.png.ed2d2edc73126e4b390691a76bfb7c11.png