First Prints

stuart838

Posted · First Prints

Just got my Ulitmaker2 and managed to set aside some time today to get it set up for first prints... considering it takes minutes to set up, I had no excuses really!

There was a slight problem with the robot (when it started the 'belly') but a really nice first print... very happy with it!

First robot

Next thing I tried was already on the SD card... coffin's cube... had an under extrusion problem part way into the first piece and the top of it didn't print properly.

coffin

coffin

All I have done so far is print from the SD card... no tinkering. So for that reason I'm very happy with the prints... blemishes n' all :)

Posted · First Prints

Looks like it's printing pretty good already. Just need a bit of refining on the settings.

The bottom of the UM bot always looks a bit iffy because it's basically printing on air, if it's a touch too hot or fast, it'll kinda look messy like that. I think that's the fault of the model itself not being optimized for FDM printing rather than the printer itself. But some people have gotten that to print beautifully with some tweaking.

As for the squares, I find if you have a big flat surface like that, it's often better to use 25% or 30% infil, rather than the default 20. This makes the infil squares roughly 1/4 the size and you won't get as much of those bulges. (or you'll get much tinier bulges which are more tolerable)

Posted · First Prints

I wasn't paying enough attention to it to answer the fan question... I'll be printing the first two again and will pay closer attention when I do. I'll also fire up Cura and set the infill to 30%.

Trying not to be too distracted by it when I should be working. Super exciting stuff!

Posted · First Prints

Instead of printing an entire thing to test the fans (which might be purposefully turned off in the gcode anyway), do this:

Go to PRINT menu, choose anything to print, then immediately go to TUNE menu and go down to fans and set to 100%. They should spin up immediately (the 2 side fans). As long as you stay in TUNE menu the printer won't start printing but as soon as you exit it will if the bed and nozzle are up to temp.

The two side fans are very problematic on new UM2s. The cables are very easily damaged in shipping. The problem is almost always at the print head - slide up the plastic covering (no tools needed) and expose the connectors there. Look for a loose wire or unconnected fan connector.

Posted · First Prints

Also lowering you bed temp to 60C might be enough to fix the robot overhang issue.

Posted · First Prints

thanks for the tips!

fans were good, spun up when i changed to 100% before the print.

Very happy chap... now, what to print next?!