UltiMaker Cura 5.3 stable released

ArunC

Posted · UltiMaker Cura 5.3 stable released

Hi, i've been trying to update my 5.2.2 cura several times. 

Tried 5.3.0, 5.3 xmas edition and 5.3.1 allways the same: when starting, at the last moment, an error window, and closed. If go to folder and delete config file, program starts, lets me go until select a printer....and no matter what i select, 2 error windows...and close again. If i want to get same place, need to delete again config file.

5.2.2 is still installed (why that exe do not update, and installs a new program?) and working

Here is my feedback; Why does Cura notify us that there is an update, but then takes us to THIS page when we click on the "Download" button for downloading an update, instead of taking us to a page where we can download the update? This is so frustrating. I don't want to read about the update. I want the app to update itself so I can get on with things.

Hey @onthuhlist,

Thanks for reporting this. 👍
    We accidentally changed the wrong link, we meant to update the Learn More link.

The download link should now be restored and point towards https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura instead. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 8:29 AM, MariMakes said:

Hey @Wernight,

That's a super interesting model. We see that in the Variable Linewidth Engine that Odd Walls aren't always closed, which results in lines being interrupted where they weren't in 4.x. Our developers are looking into a way to improve this behavior. This model would really help with the research. 

Do you have a project file for us? It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. 

To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

Hi @MariMakes
    The same issue has cropped up for me - likewise printing thin wall aircraft models (A Joker from 3dlabprint) Where wall transitions rapidly to near horizontal they become very spaced out with holes in between as you can see in this image.

image.thumb.png.8caac16a646aca23e540e9e9deb15cf7.png

Various wall transition settings haven't yet provided a solution for me.

This shows how it should slice (old gcode)
    image.thumb.png.bd2f26bbe7bb9f51505d794bf728c7c3.png

I expect that many aircraft parts which rely on single wall prints and complex curvature will experience this issue in slicing.

If this is something the team has time to look further into I've included the project in a zip.

Thanks!

Jkr_Wroots.zip

7 minutes ago, GizBat said:

Hi @MariMakes
    The same issue has cropped up for me - likewise printing thin wall aircraft models (A Joker from 3dlabprint) Where wall transitions rapidly to near horizontal they become very spaced out with holes in between as you can see in this image.

image.thumb.png.8caac16a646aca23e540e9e9deb15cf7.png

Various wall transition settings haven't yet provided a solution for me.

This shows how it should slice (old gcode)
    image.thumb.png.bd2f26bbe7bb9f51505d794bf728c7c3.png

I expect that many aircraft parts which rely on single wall prints and complex curvature will experience this issue in slicing.

If this is something the team has time to look further into I've included the project in a zip.

Thanks!

Jkr_Wroots.zip 9.35 MB · 0 downloads

It turns out the solution for this model is to use a modifier mesh where required to add top layers to infill these holes.

image.thumb.png.25cd4c4dae645339efb7ecf57e16a87b.png

If you do some trig with the Layer Height and Line Width you will find the minimum angle off the build plate which for 0.2 x 0.4 is about 37°.  That happens to be the minimum angle you can print without support.  As the angle approaches 0 (horizontal) the extrusions are too far apart to bond to each other.  Another problem you no doubt found is that you can't print curves at those low angles because the extrusion is over air and just follows the nozzle in a straight line.  The nozzle follows the toolpath, but the plastic doesn't stay where it's put because there is nothing to hold it in place.

• Like 1