Firmware doesn't want to update to newest version

Benascott
Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted · Firmware doesn't want to update to newest version

I have an Ultimaker S5 with FW version 6.5.2, and it is set up to update over the network. I am trying to install the new stable version, 8.1.1.

however, it says it is up to date on the printer manager page, and when I plugged a USB into the printer with the new FW on it, it did not load or did not recognise it in the update firmware option on the printer. please advise.

Capture.PNG

@MariMakes or @Dustin might be able to help you.  If it were me I would stick with 6.5.2, lol!  Do you print over network?  If so consider staying at version 6.X.  If you use Digital Factory (and not direct network printing) then 8.X may be best for you.

Also curious if you have the material station or air manager as this may affect things (updating problems). Sometimes people have to disconnect both of these during the upgrade process but I don't think that's your issue here as your symptom seems different.

Hello, yes I do print over the network and no I don't have the material station or the air manager.

As per the screen shot below, I think that we do use the Ultimaker digital factory to manage the print queue and maintenance.

Can you tell me why you would recommend sticking with 6.5.2 as opposed to the stable version of the newer FW?

Capture.PNG

So a few things..
    1 it looks like you are using the Management Console. (the webui on the machine itself) that is significantly stripped down In 7.0 and even more in 8.0 firmware.
    The local webui was renamed from "Digital Factory" to  "Management Console" during 7.0 firmware due to naming confusion as the UltiMaker Cloud Platform was named "Digital Factory"

You can find all the release notes for the versions between yours to current
    here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667410781982

As for not updating, this is likely a local network issue. 
    But would need to see a log file to know for sure.
    Additionally you can try referring to this article for advice: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667337958118

Sorry - instead of saying "network versus DF" I should have said "cloud printing" versuss "LAN printing".  LAN printing features are going away as you go to newer versions of firmware and "cloud printing" features are getting better as you go to newer versions.

The S5 came out many years ago and within a few months the firmware was in great shape and worked quite well.  I haven't had any desire for any of the improvements since then (cloud printing, material station, air handler).  The S5 worked great back then and if you stick with the older firmware it still works great.  There shouldn't be any need to constantly upgrade the firmware.  That's my opinion.  More specifically, network printing has evolved - for some in a good way - for other's who have a draconian IT department that doesn't allow cloud printing - in a bad way.

• Solution

Another way to look at it: if ultimaker says "you should really update your firmware on your 5 year old printer" is another way of saying "our printer has really sucked for the last 5 years but now, finally, with the new firmware, the printer is a useful machine".

I totally disagree. The printer has been great the whole time.