Octoprint

Hello, when I was setting up octoprint on my ultimaker2+ and when I switched the gcode to reprap it started messing up and cutting corners, I reset it and calibrated again, now when I was making a cube the base got stuck on the extruder, can someone help me?

It sounds like you are having bed adhesion problems. Perhaps cleaning the bed, and/or applying a fresh layer of gluestick will improve that. It is also possible that your glass plate is upside-down. There are two different sides to it.

• Like 1

Next time please include a photo but it sounds like you weren't squishing the bottom layer enough.  This is done usually through hardware changes (turning a screw to move the bed closer to the nozzle).  Unless you have auto leveling.

Posted · Octoprint
    3 hours ago, gr5 said:

Next time please include a photo but it sounds like you weren't squishing the bottom layer enough.  This is done usually through hardware changes (turning a screw to move the bed closer to the nozzle).  Unless you have auto leveling.

I did re level it, also i have an issue due to when i print using octoprint it will move the extruder to a place it can not go and when i get it working it will mess up, like cutting corners and bringing the filament it should print in the corner with it, i have not tested the octoprint after the reset

Posted · Octoprint

Also what gcode should i use for the octoprint

To produce gcode compatible with OctoPrint, the gcode flavor for your Ultimaker 2+ should be set to "Marlin".

Cura 5.3 currently has a bug that stops the Machine Settings dialog from registering the change of gcode flavors.

Are you using the OctoPrint Connection plugin from the Marketplace? It has an option to set the correct gcode flavor for you.

Posted · Octoprint
    5 hours ago, ahoeben said:

To produce gcode compatible with OctoPrint, the gcode flavor for your Ultimaker 2+ should be set to "Marlin".

Cura 5.3 currently has a bug that stops the Machine Settings dialog from registering the change of gcode flavors.

Are you using the OctoPrint Connection plugin from the Marketplace? It has an option to set the correct gcode flavor for you.

yes, i have the octoprint plugin

Posted · Octoprint

I'm taking a look at the plugin and it's not letting me make it auto-select the gcode

image.thumb.png.c9707fb8a872353b94725d1b976f92ef.png

If you don't see the "Set G-code flavor to 'Marlin'" option, then the gcode flavor is already set correctly.

Posted (edited) · Octoprint
    3 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

image.thumb.png.c9707fb8a872353b94725d1b976f92ef.png

If you don't see the "Set G-code flavor to 'Marlin'" option, then the gcode flavor is already set correctly.

ok, im just doing my first octoprint using the gcode, its working but it has messed up in some places

Edited by marcosbombi
    spelling mistake

Posted · Octoprint

Btw when i print normally using the sd, will it also use marlin

Posted · Octoprint

One more thing, when it makes the blob or thing in the corner before it starts printing, it will bring it to the print place any help?

13 minutes ago, marcosbombi said:

Btw when i print normally using the sd, will it also use marlin

Yes. Unless you set it back to "Ultimaker 2" in Machine Settings before exporting gcode. But then you have to set it back to "Marlin" to print succesfully with OctoPrint again. My advice: choose whether you want to print via SD or via OctoPrint.

11 minutes ago, marcosbombi said:

when it makes the blob or thing in the corner before it starts printing, it will bring it to the print

You could edit the start gcode to not do that prime.

Posted · Octoprint

ok

6 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Yes. Unless you set it back to "Ultimaker 2" in Machine Settings before exporting gcode. But then you have to set it back to "Marlin" to print succesfully with OctoPrint again. My advice: choose whether you want to print via SD or via OctoPrint.

You could edit the start gcode to not do that prime.

The gcode, how do i do that?

See the "Machine Settings" dialog, available from the Printers page of the preferences.

And in machine settings there should be a tab for "start gcode" and "end gcode".  You want the first one.  If you have printed fewer than 100 prints you might want to leave things at default.  You can read about the gcodes if you google "reprap gcodes" that takes you to a good reference.

Regarding ultimaker2 versus marlin flavors - I prefer the ultimaker2 flavor when printing through SD card.  You get a few nice features.

But if you have octoprint working that is even better.

Posted · Octoprint
    On 4/6/2023 at 9:43 AM, gr5 said:

And in machine settings there should be a tab for "start gcode" and "end gcode".  You want the first one.  If you have printed fewer than 100 prints you might want to leave things at default.  You can read about the gcodes if you google "reprap gcodes" that takes you to a good reference.

Regarding ultimaker2 versus marlin flavors - I prefer the ultimaker2 flavor when printing through SD card.  You get a few nice features.

But if you have octoprint working that is even better.

Im saying how do i make it so it stops making the blob

The "blob" is called priming the nozzle.  It can be very helpful.  Without it I've had the printer print quite a bit of my first layer before it starts extruding.  So the fix may be worse than the blob.

You change this by editing the start gcode as already said.  It's really not complicated - it's meant to be read by a printer and also by humans.  Look for lines of code that have the "E" for extruder and start with a "G0" or "G1" and read what those codes do and it will all make sense.  google "reprap gcodes" to learn what the gcodes do in Marlin (there is a marlin column at the page that google will take you to).

• Like 1

Posted · Octoprint

okay so i feel like keeping it now, but how do i prevent it from bringing the priming blob to the center, also when i try to print directly from the octoprint dashboard it will not extrude the material even when its doing the printing job.

The default start gcode has this snippet:

G1 X15 Y0 F4000 ;move X/Y to front of printer
    G1 Z15.0 F9000 ;move the platform to 15mm
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E10 ;extrude 10 mm of feed stock
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
    G1 Y50 F9000

With the comments, that should be easy to follow.

One thing you could do is decrease the amount of "feed stock" getting extruded, to eg 5 (yeah, feed stock is a bit of a strange term that you may not recognize). So you change the 3rd line of the above snippet, like this:

G1 F200 E5 ;extrude 5 mm of feed stock

This will reduce how much "prime string" gets created, and as a result how much gets dragged into the print. This is effectively closer to what printing via SD-card does.

You can also experiment with having that "prime string" extruded against the bed instead of in the air, thus creating a blob which sticks to the bed. However, you risk that blob not sticking to the bed or worse, sticking to the extruder. So I'll give you another suggestion and that is wiping the nozzle on the bed.

G1 X15 Y0 F4000 ;move X/Y to front of printer
    G1 Z5.0 F9000 ;move the platform to 5mm
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E10 ;extrude 10 mm of feed stock
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
    G1 Z1.0 F3000 ;move the platform to 1mm
    G1 Y5.0 Z0.0 F3000 ;squish the platform to the extruder
    G1 Y10.0 Z0.0 F2000 ;wipe the extruder along the bed
    G1 Z15 Y50 F9000 ;move the bed down, leaving a prime-smear behind

I have not tested this gcode. So try it out, experiment, and learn about gcode in the process.

Posted · Octoprint

also when i try to print directly from the octoprint dashboard it will not extrude the material even when its doing the printing job.

> also when i try to print directly from the octoprint dashboard it will not extrude the material

That sounds like you are printing a gcode file with the "Ultimaker 2" gcode flavor, not the "Marlin" flavor.