2+ Extended not extruding - Help!

aikimo
Go to solution Solved by tinkergnome,

Posted · 2+ Extended not extruding - Help!

Dear All,

Hi. I have a 2+ Extended that does not extrude the ABS filament that is on the spool.  I selected the option to change the filament, and then fed in the new stuff. The feeder seems to be pulling in the material, but unless I give it a little push from the feeder, the material does not come out of the head.  The old nozzle was clogged, so I replaced it with a generic .4mm one.  The abs is 1.75mm hatchbox ABS.  The printer is running firmware 3.3.0ex

A few questions..

- The manual says to make sure the tension indicator is in the middle. The problem with that is the filament can be easily pulled out. Isn't this too loose?  How tight should it be?

- when I use the option to feed the material, the hot end heats up, but when I turn the dial, nothing comes out.

- Do I need to use a specific type of nozzle with this printer?

thanks in advance for your help!

Mo

20230406_161641_resized.jpg

20230406_161651_resized.jpg

20230406_161714_resized.jpg

• Solution
    17 hours ago, aikimo said:

The abs is 1.75mm hatchbox ABS.

All Ultimaker printers are built for material diameter 2.85mm. You don't mention if this printer is modified for the use of 1.75mm materials. So that's probably the main reason for the described problems: it's simply the wrong material.

In addition: i don't see a tension indicator at all on the last picture? Are you sure the feeder is complete and correct assembled?

There's a great guide from 3dVerkstan with a lot of pictures:

https://support.3dverkstan.se/article/64-disassembly-of-the-ultimaker-2-plus-feeder

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to print 1.75mm filament without any modifications but...  you have to print extra slow - probably 25mm/sec top speed.  Because the print head has a 3mm diameter in the hot end and the 1.75 - if pushed too hard - will just start coming back upwards and can get clogged in the upper (cooler) reaches of the hot end.

There are 1.75mm conversion kits but really you only need the 1.75mm TFT/TFN part.  3dsolex.com used to sell that - I'm not sure if they still do.  aliexpress.com might have some from china although they might not fit very well (those chinese companies aren't great about testing their own product on a printer they don't have).

But really - get some 2.85mm filament.  The experience is 10X better.