Issues with Printing First Layer on an Ender 3 V2

Go to solution Solved by Schmordan,

Posted · Issues with Printing First Layer on an Ender 3 V2

On my Ender 3 V2, the nozzle starts higher than when levelling. The printer adds another 20 mm to the nozzle height, making the filament not stick to the bed. The printer needs to be re-levelled while printing the skirt.

I use the Jyers firmware, have a 4.2.2 mainboard and don't have any auto levelling on my printer. I haven't encountered this problem before and found nothing online.

any help is appreciated! 🙂

All my Cura z offsets are set to 0, and so are the z offsets on the actual Ender 3 V2 machine. My Ender 3 V2 levels at 0 mm, making it inaccurate when printing, as the initial layer starts at 20 mm high.

Should I just reset the machine firmware, or am I doing something wrong?

Posted (edited) · Issues with Printing First Layer on an Ender 3 V2

20mm is huge.  Use the LCD and Auto-Home the printer.  What is the Z value on the LCD when Auto-Home finishes?

Post one of the "bad" gcode files as well.

Edited by GregValiant

Sorry, I meant 0.20 mm!

I don't have the 'Auto-Home' option on my printer as I've stated in the first post, but when I select the 'Manual Levelling' menu item, the z position is 0.00 mm.

The gcode file: CE3E3V2_squareslider.gcode

In the 7th line there is this comment: ;MINZ:0.2 (which is equal to the actual Z-error)

Looks like there is a wrong setting somewhere in Cura about the minimum Z-height.

I found this vid on YT that might solve your issue.

Edited by Mechatron127

It must have something to do with the Z-Offset as this snippet from the posted Gcode file indicates that the first extrusions of the skirt goes down at 0.20mm

;LAYER:0
    M107
    M204 S500
    M205 X10 Y10
    G0 F6000 X96.367 Y95.396 Z0.2
    M204 S490
    ;TYPE:SKIRT
    G1 F2700 E0
    G1 F900 X97.017 Y94.769 E0.03082

The next "Z" command is just before the second layer starts and it is to "Z0.32" which is indeed "Initial Layer Height + Layer Height" so the Gcode is correct.

• Solution

So I kinda found a solution.

on the Ender 3 V2 itself, in Prepare > Manual Levelling and the last setting, you can set the z height for levelling the print bed.

but I still want to fix the z offset

in cura though.

Edited by Schmordan

One of @ahoeben's handy-dandy plugins in the MarketPlace is called "Z Offset Setting".  I don't use it myself so I can't advise but it sounds like it would be what you are looking for.

I already have it installed and all the z offsets are 0 🫤

At least I think...