random seam - inner wall?

giugni

Posted (edited) · random seam - inner wall?

I am comparing Cura 5.3 and Cura 4.12.1

z seam alignment set to Random in both versions

In Cura 5.3 in takes 2 hours more to finish than 4.12.1 in a 48h long print

so i was wondering why and i saw that there are a lot unecessary movements in the inner walls due the random setting

it seems the new cura randomize every single wall of a layer...?    

is this correct?

I mean, I just want the outer wall seam randomized, i dont care about the inner wall, but 2hs more fo  finish.... 😅

or maybe is there a setting to disable?

thanks 

PS obviously if i set z seam alignment as Shortest, both version complete the print in the same time, so there are no other settings that are slowing down the print in cura 5.3, afaik

Edited by giugni

Posted · random seam - inner wall?

Looks like in 5.2.0 release "random" was made more "random" so that would be why its so different in your tests.
    image.png.41e640768fa24c0cefad2051f696cab8.png

As the seam start point is random that would make the inner wall start point equally as random.. as it will generally be where the seam is.

• Like 1

I've also had basically the same question as the OP - it seems there's unnecessary movement...

As the seam start point is random that would make the inner wall start point equally as random.. as it will generally be where the seam is.

I think the point here is if there are multiple wall lines, then the start of each line is randomised (not the start at each layer). Eg it might start the first inner wall at one position, then when that line finishes it moves to a different location to start the second line in the wall, and a different location to start the third line (etc)...

These moves between the various wall lines on the same layer seem to be unnecessary and significantly increases the travel time when you have models with relatively thick walls. It seems that the same random position could be used for all walls on a layer, which would reduce travel while still providing the required effect of avoiding the seam line. At least this should be an option (IMHO).

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 9:10 PM, Dustin said:

Looks like in 5.2.0 release "random" was made more "random" so that would be why its so different in your tests.
    image.png.41e640768fa24c0cefad2051f696cab8.png

Thanks for your reply, 

so this is basically the new slicing method, and right now there is no way to change the inner wall pattern i believe

On 4/15/2023 at 2:13 AM, cdjackson said:

I've also had basically the same question as the OP - it seems there's unnecessary movement...

I think the point here is if there are multiple wall lines, then the start of each line is randomised (not the start at each layer). Eg it might start the first inner wall at one position, then when that line finishes it moves to a different location to start the second line in the wall, and a different location to start the third line (etc)...

These moves between the various wall lines on the same layer seem to be unnecessary and significantly increases the travel time when you have models with relatively thick walls. It seems that the same random position could be used for all walls on a layer, which would reduce travel while still providing the required effect of avoiding the seam line. At least this should be an option (IMHO).

Thanks for your reply, 

yeah exactly what i mean

right now i can not understand why/how to use random inner wall 

to me seems unnecessary 😅

• Like 1