Print core heater Error ER31 - After Installing new BB Printcore

jfigue

Posted · Print core heater Error ER31 - After Installing new BB Printcore

Hello, I have s5 printer, the firmware is updated to the latest. 

I was replacing the BB printcore as I noticed the nozzle was black covered with what I assume was burnt PVA material, and was experiencing issues with printing from that printhead so it seemed like I needed to install a new one. After following the directions for the printcore installation I continuously receive the ER31 error for printhead 2. I think the install for the printcore itself is fine as material does extrude after loading back in, albeit it seems that the flow is quite slow? Not sure what else is the issue, I have followed the instructions and have attempted to re-install the new printcore but everytime i try to calibrate the printcores to eachother the error eventually pops-up when it's nozzle 2's turn to extrude material.

Any ideas? 

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Print core heater Error ER31 - After Installing new BB Printcore

Replying with photos: 

This is the new printcore i am trying to install in slot2 (just took it out of new packaging)

image.thumb.jpeg.4feb3b08a4f7b6d22825f01bbb6464f5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.be5ce7e6139cc38ff63006750da14e35.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9a2ab7ab31aa8e522a12651343754966.jpeg

This is the notice I get after I install the printcore:

image.thumb.jpeg.19fba3cba21184a79d0d182510d30cb3.jpeg

And this is the photo of the XY Calibration failing with the notice saying its error is in slot2:

image.thumb.jpeg.e661e38c8c86f9417982a8fecb306b1f.jpeg

I should probably switch out the nozzle covers but I dont think this is the root issue as printcore 1 has been printing fine without any issues, not sure if there is something wrong with the heat sensors in slot2:

image.thumb.jpeg.1fdaadd5d3a7ee58e9eedcaf4abf150a.jpeg

Edited by jfigue

Hi @jfigue,

Welcome in here.

It looks like this heater is not installed correct, -or the heater element is just too long!

This will probably also interfere with the capacitiv sensor board clip on the r/h side at core B.

Another thing is that this BB core is the one moving up and down, making more bending on the heater wires.

This core does not look right to me, but sure, someone else may comment on this.

Thanks

Torgeir

@Torgeir, thanks for the reply! Would you be able to point out where the heater element is? Are there any articles or posts to look into to re-install/repair this component? 

I purchased the printcore via matterhackers and it looks identical to the original one that came with the printer, but I also am not so experienced with these parts so perhaps I may not be noticing something key. 

Print core not calibrated is a standard notification when installing new print cores.

There is no official articles for "repairing" print cores as they are not considered user serviceable by UltiMaker.

Considering you just purchased this print core I highly recommend opening a support case directly with UltiMaker so they can help you with this issue. If they can identify that there is a issue with the print core it could be RMA'ed for you.
    However, if you start tampering with the print core this could void that option. 

I recommend sending your printers log files as this will be the first thing they will request.
    Please try causing the ER31 before exporting the log file.
    Guide: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667337561393

Contact here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/contactsupport
    (UltiMaker does not provide direct support for issues via the Community)

• Like 1

@mrender I think the fan is spinning as I haven't had any issues printing from printcore1 during this issue with printcore2. I will double check when I get a spare moment. But I think I will contact support as @Dustin suggested and see what they suggest. 

Hi @jfigue.

As @Dustin, said do not try to fix the brand new core, -just replace it.

I've looked a bit more closely to this -and to me it's looking like the heater is twisted about 180 deg.

I've newer seen this heater before and could be a new version..

The heater core have two identically wires marked white and red connected.

Here is two of your pictures with some notes on -that's explain the issue:

The back of the BB Core.

Heater_Wires_BB_Core.thumb.jpg.9ef7e3d51e53cf7388c515b495fc0de0.jpg

The Head Open Viewing BB Cores Place No 2 (R/H):

Inside_Head_BB.thumb.jpg.ebbc47ebd3360c4cb3befb9a8eb142c1.jpg

As this is the only head that's move when needed, this is a very important issue to check when installing a new core.

(Your original problem was the calibration required when putting a new core into service for a printer.

This process has to be done on any other S model of Ultimaker you'll using with this core, the printer will update "time used" and keep track of the calibration data for this (S/N) core. There might be more data collected in here, -but don't know.)

Thanks

Good luck.

Torgeir

On 4/26/2023 at 12:33 PM, Torgeir said:

Hi @jfigue,

Welcome in here.

It looks like this heater is not installed correct, -or the heater element is just too long!

This will probably also interfere with the capacitiv sensor board clip on the r/h side at core B.

Another thing is that this BB core is the one moving up and down, making more bending on the heater wires.

This core does not look right to me, but sure, someone else may comment on this.

Thanks

Torgeir

I agree with Torgeir, the heating element is certainly not mounted correctly. The element I circled in red should be fully inserted in the brass heater block.

I'm sorry this core came to you like this, you can replace it with your reseller. 

It is a 10 second fix. Loosen the small screw on the bottom of the heater block, and then you should be able to slide the heater fully in the block. Then tighten the small screw again.

image.png.d93cb8f3ae93e0ac4082154e94db481f.png

I mean this screw: image.png.20f7dfbf5459ce6838d56d295195005e.png