Replacing Parts

Posted · Replacing Parts

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping to get some assistance with replacing the bearings on my Ultimaker 2 Extended. I received this printer a few years ago from a university that used it well past its design lifespan and as a result the bearings set into the side panels have begun to fail. I reached out to ultimaker support but never heard back from them. Does anyone have the specifications/part number for the bearings that sit in the side panel? These are the bearings the the x/y axis guide rails sit in. Let me know if you all need any other info. Cheers in advance!

~Razumi

Posted · Replacing Parts

When did you reach out to support? - Can I get your case number?

If your replacing bearings to address "clicking" or "creaking" this would actually be the belts and not the bearings at all.. 
    Its quite deceptive when trying to troubleshoot it.

Posted · Replacing Parts

Hi Dustin, thanks for the reply!

The next time I run a print on it I'll take a video and post here for better context of what's happening. The reason I suspect the bearings are going is two fold: 

1. When I first got the printer one of the x/y axis stepper motors had catastrophically failed. After replacing it I opened it up and the internals had mostly disintegrated (which isn't entirely surprising given the use of the machine and the fact that those motors can put off quite a bit of heat). 
    2. I noticed metallic dust around the X/Y axis bearing at the top left of the printer. 

The best was I can describe it is that the left/right movement of the head sounds "crunchy". I also noticed that there's a few millimeters of play in the left/right motion of the head. 

Again i really appreciate your help on this! (P.S. If you have part numbers for the other misc parts like belts I'd be interested in replacing those as the belts are beginning to sag).

~Razumi

Posted · Replacing Parts

Would probably be best to contact your local reseller and describe everything you need and they can ensure you have the right parts.

Also very odd that there is "metallic dust" 

I would probably recommend reaching out to UltiMaker Support directly and share pictures and video of the issues your seeing and hearing they will be able to advise accordingly.
    Contact here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/contactsupport

Unfortunately, UltiMaker does not provide direct technical support via the community.

Posted · Replacing Parts
    9 hours ago, HenryMateo said:

Sadly, I don't know the exact details or part numbers for the bearings.

Only need to provide pictures and context to UltiMaker Support they can guide you 🙂

Posted (edited) · Replacing Parts

Hi there.

The ball bearing UM2 P/N is: 688-2RS the dimension is od: 16 mm id 8 mm and width 5mm.

Edit: The upper P/N is the vendors and Ultimakers P/N is: 1021-ZIP-A

There is also another one with flanges P/N: 6887

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Text corrected.

Posted · Replacing Parts

Hi..

Just a little more info.

I'll think the flanges version is the one in use now, this original P/N is the original from 2012.

The flanged version do not go into the wall, but is prevented moving in further by the flange.

Just my 5p.

Thanks

Torgeir