Creality Ender 3 V3 SE is not avalible in UltiMaker Cura under add Printer

USY
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Creality Ender 3 V3 SE is not avalible in UltiMaker Cura under add Printer

Hi Guys,

I am just starting with 3D printing.  
I want add my 3D Printer: Creality Ender 3 V3 SE on UltiMaker Cura under add Printer, but the printer is not listet there:

How Can I simply choose the older Vertsion: Ender-3 v2 ?

Or can you let me please know how I should to proceed ?

Thanks and regards

Screenshotfrom2023-08-2709-17-55.thumb.png.7314b2c5bf424ae64526b0b8aa3ce43a.png

[gr5 edit - added photo]

• Like 2

• Solution
Posted (edited) · Creality Ender 3 V3 SE is not avalible in UltiMaker Cura under add Printer

THIS WAS MARKED AS THE SOLUTION AT THE TIME BUT NOW YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE PROFILE MANUALLY, INSTRUCTIONS HERE

I'm guessing it's so new Cura doesn't have a profile for it. The profile for the Ender-3/Ender-3 v2 should work fine, just pick that from the list.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
direct people to profile download
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

Posted (edited) · Creality Ender 3 V3 SE is not avalible in UltiMaker Cura under add Printer

I just received my pre-order of an Ender 3 V3 SE - did the Ender 3 v2 profile work for you @USY?

Edit: I printed a calibration cube using the Ender 3 v2 profile suggested by @Slashee_the_Cow using the freebie filament supplied by Creality (rather than any of my nice stuff) and it came out pretty great, honestly! For any other early adopters of the Ender 3 V3 SE, you should be good to go with the same profile until an official profile is added

Edited by pnlrogue1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted · Creality Ender 3 V3 SE is not avalible in UltiMaker Cura under add Printer

I also have an Ender 3 V3 SE.

If you use the Ender 3 V2 profile with the V3, you should probably change (increase) the printing speed. I copied the speed settings from Creality Print profile for the V3 to the Cura profile (I kept 20mm/s for initial layer just to be safe, although 30mm/s worked most of the time).

• 2 weeks later...

You guys should be carefull with using the Ender-3 v2 Profile. As you can see on the bellow screenshots the Printer settings and g-code are different

image.thumb.png.8b2917bb535993a02af4c43bda07a2d3.png

in comparison to the settings in Ender-3 v3 SE settings in Creality Print which is the org. Creality Software.

image.thumb.png.ec31941e52ddd8800ed5648ab25dd3b4.png

I will try to copy all the settings from Creality Print to Cura

The only difference in the printer settings is the size of the build area - the default Ender-3 / Ender-3 v2 profile in Cura has the size of the bed (which is bigger than the printable area and I've heard can be unlocked with custom firmware), but with the extra area marked off as an area the extruder can't go - which doesn't fully work, I've done corner to corner prints and they had move commands past 220mm, so in my custom profile for my Ender-3 v2 Neo I just changed the bed size to 220 x 220 (what is officially supported) - but you can change the bed size for a printer in Cura without having to edit the definition file, just do it the machine settings.

The g-code is exactly the same. What doesn't appear in profile for the Ender-3 / v2 is just the material feed rate and flow rate at the start and that gets added from the Creality base definition file. You can see it if you just open up a gcode file Cura has sliced from the stock E3/v2 profile in a text editor.

Edit: my mistake, the Creality Print profile for the v3 SE defines a much smaller machine head - Cura uses this if you have multiple models set up and set them to print one at a time to know how far apart objects have have to be, so that the nozzle or head doesn't bump into the ones you've already printed. Looking at the photos (since I don't have a v3 to measure, donations accepted), the v3's head is actually much bigger than the v1/v2's head, so Creality's setting in the profile there could cause problems.

added bit about head size

Hello all,

Shortly, using the « Ender 2 / Ender 3 v2 » profile for an Ender-3 V3 SE ... is there any change to do  ?

If so (I guess filament speed), how to do that ?

Thanks.

Has anyone figured out how to use the exported printer profile from Creality Print 4.x and import into Cura 5.4? Or is there a format converter out there that can do it?

I'd also like to export the print profiles as well.

8 hours ago, pfriedl said:

Has anyone figured out how to use the exported printer profile from Creality Print 4.x and import into Cura 5.4? Or is there a format converter out there that can do it?

I'd also like to export the print profiles as well.

Despite my maintaining its unnecessarity, I did just have a look. Creality Print is definitely based on Cura, but I don't know if they forked Cura ages ago (I'm not really familiar with how Cura has changed over its entire version history) or if they made everything pretty different just for the fun of it. Either way, both the printer profiles and quality presets are in formats fairly and somewhat different respectively to how they are in Cura 5.4 (or even 4.13.1). 

Could it be done? Probably, but I don't have the time personally. The profiles would be possible to do manually, so if you feel like doing a lot of typing in manually, the quality profiles are just text files. Open one up, you can just do it in Notepad (or your platform's equivalent). In Cura, switch to the high/low quality based on what you want to start with, then make the changes that are defined in the Creality Print base profile, then save it as a new profile (which will be based on the Cura default quality profile). Then using that profile to start, make the changes that in the Ender-3 v3 SE quality profile, and save that as a new profile (so it'll be based on the Creality Print base profile). Then if you want to make any new profiles of your own, base them on that Ender-3 v3 quality profile.

The machine definitions are stored in a format more different to Cura. They use the same field names (mostly) but the files are almost completely unformatted (Cura uses a strict subset of JSON) but since they don't contain proper parenting information would require a lot more hunting to find all the relevant settings (and then type them up in a new Cura definition file, and add the appropriate nozzles and extruder definitions in other files if necessary).

IMHO: I don't know why you'd want to, especially the quality presets. My tally for successful prints (not counting unsuccessful prints where I obviously made an error in the model or settings) are 1 out of 3 for Creality Print and about 85% for Cura. If you want to include my personal stuffups, the success rate is 1 out of 3 for Creaity Print (gives you some idea how quickly I got sick of it) and about 70% for Cura.

BTW: Either Creality Print comes from the future or they don't feel like updating it in the next four months at least.

image.thumb.png.d590b888faba63f70f75e3fe9548c4aa.png

crealityprint_base_quality_profiles.zip ender3_v3_se_quality_profiles.zip

There is feature request for Cura to add profile 
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/16795

however not clear when it will be done

The 5.5 release of Cura may or may not include the definition.  There is a pull request HERE to add the full definition.  You might want to comment on it and perhaps it will get expedited and make it into the 5.5 release.

If nothing else you can download the files and manually install them.

When using the v2 option the z-axis doesn't touch the print bed. How do I solve this?

Edited by tburgers

I don't know that printer but the problem can be do to a couple of things.

Are you sure that the Z end stop switch is adjusted correctly?  If it is up too high it will keep the hot end from getting to the bed.

If it has ABL you might be able to adjust the "Z-Offset".  The Z-Offset is the distance between where the probe is touching the bed and the actual bottom of the nozzle.

Your best bet is to check on Reddit where there is a large user group.

6 hours ago, tburgers said:

When using the v2 option the z-axis doesn't touch the print bed. How do I solve this?

Run the auto levelling system from the printer's control panel (main screen, bottom right setting). That will automatically  measure the heights of sections of the plate and set the correct Z offset for the printer. If it doesn't, you can adjust it manually, but I'd probably be more likely to reach out to Creality and ask "why is this thing not doing the thing it's supposed to automagically do?"

Absolute beginner here: I came across a reddit post saying that G28 will remove bed leveling data. Does this only apply to the leveling data from G29, or does it remove the data for the mesh set by the printer itself as well? Also, I looked at the gcode generated by Cura on the stock profile, and I don't see the M220 or M221 commands anywhere. Should I add those in?

Edited by blademagic

3 hours ago, blademagic said:

Absolute beginner here: I came across a reddit post saying that G28 will remove bed leveling data. Does this only apply to the leveling data from G29, or does it remove the data for the mesh set by the printer itself as well? Also, I looked at the gcode generated by Cura on the stock profile, and I don't see the M220 or M221 commands anywhere. Should I add those in?

G28 doesn't delete any bed levelling data. By default, it does turn bed levelling off, but there's a setting in the printer's firmware (the deep part of the firmware, not the settings you can access) that disables that behaviour.

The E3V3SE profile in the Cura Github repo has the M220 and M221 commands as the first lines it adds to the g-code, and I've used it without issue (and yes, the M220 and M221 commands are in there).

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 2:16 PM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

I'm guessing it's so new Cura doesn't have a profile for it. The profile for the Ender-3/Ender-3 v2 should work fine, just pick that from the list.

What about the print head dimensions it's not the same, would be ok to use until you hit the top of gantry or a large print that goes to thew edges of the build area

The printer definitions come from members of the Cura "open source" community, or from the printer manufacturer.  Ultimaker can't be expected to go out and buy one of every printer on the planet on the day they are announced and write definitions for other peoples hardware.  They are in business to sell their own printers.

In two weeks or so when the stable 5.5 is released, or in 3 or 4 months when a new Cura is released maybe someone will have written and submitted all the definition files for that printer.  Then again, maybe not.

If you feel that it is a gamble taking a chance on a print hitting the gantry, maybe you should set the printer aside until someone submits a definition for it.

Edited by GregValiant

4 hours ago, solcutter said:

What about the print head dimensions it's not the same, would be ok to use until you hit the top of gantry or a large print that goes to thew edges of the build area

Please refer to my more recent posts - like the one immediately above yours which provides a link to the current version of the E3V3SE profile on the Cura Github repo.

If you're still worried about the size of the print head, it's in the definition file - feel free to change it if you're worried. I've been using a slightly modified version of the profile from the Github repo (mostly me changing the start/end g-code) for a couple of weeks now without issue.

Also: I'm pretty sure Creality isn't stupid enough to design a printer whose print head can crash into the printer. The bed is still 235 x 235 but there's physical stoppers on both the gantry and platform that prevent it from going past 220 x 220, unlike previous models.

1 hour ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Please refer to my more recent posts - like the one immediately above yours which provides a link to the current version of the E3V3SE profile on the Cura Github repo.

If you're still worried about the size of the print head, it's in the definition file - feel free to change it if you're worried. I've been using a slightly modified version of the profile from the Github repo (mostly me changing the start/end g-code) for a couple of weeks now without issue.

Also: I'm pretty sure Creality isn't stupid enough to design a printer whose print head can crash into the printer. The bed is still 235 x 235 but there's physical stoppers on both the gantry and platform that prevent it from going past 220 x 220, unlike previous models.

Yes I  pulled the from Creality Print already but they are single figures in Cura so don't correlate to transferring across directly. and they do design printers that the heads crash into the printer had it happen on my V2 with incorrect start gocde that's why there is print head sizes to input in the first place, but if you're saying there's physical stops I will just keep the presets for v2 settings & see how I go until they release the printer profile 

On 10/14/2023 at 12:13 PM, solcutter said:

Yes I  pulled the from Creality Print already but they are single figures in Cura so don't correlate to transferring across directly. and they do design printers that the heads crash into the printer had it happen on my V2 with incorrect start gocde that's why there is print head sizes to input in the first place, but if you're saying there's physical stops I will just keep the presets for v2 settings & see how I go until they release the printer profile 

Creality Print is forked from an older version of Cura so the configuration files are in a different format.

If you're going to use the profile for the v2 you really should change the retraction settings due to the direct drive extruder.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE:

Cura 5.6 stable is now out and includes the profile for the E3V3SE. If you've already added it to an older version, you should remove the printer in Cura, go to Help > Show Configuration Folder, close Cura, and remove the previously added files, which are:

definitions/creality_ender3v3se.def.json

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.2.inst

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.3.inst

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.4.inst

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.5.inst

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.6.inst

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.8.inst

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_1.0.inst

Then open Cura again and add a new copy of the printer (which will be coming from the built in definitions).

UPDATE UPDATE: The profile is in the Cura 5.6.0 beta. If you're cool running a beta version (I don't think I've had a problem with any of them, but I'm just one person) you can get it here. If you're not cool running beta versions, my instructions below still work.

UPDATE: The profile is in the main code base for Cura, but did not make it into the release branch for 5.5. Hopefully this means it will appear in an update soon. My instructions below are still valid, but:

--THE EASY WAY I SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF BEFORE--

I've attached a zip file containing all the files in one so you don't have to download them manually. Just go into your Cura configuration folder and extract it, making sure that the folder structure is kept intact - which it should be by default in most systems, so that the files go into the existing folders. Just open the zip file, drag and drop the folders into your Cura configuration folder.

ender3v3se-profile.zip

--THE ANNOYING WAY THAT WAS THE FIRST THING THAT CAME TO MIND--

--BUT THE GOOD PART--

The first beta of Cura 5.5 doesn't contain the E3V3SE profile, the release version may or may not, but the files for it are in the Cura Github repo, so you can download the profile that will be in Cura (unless they make changes to it beforehand) and add it to your current installation.

1. Go to your Cura configuration folder. In Windows it's %APPDATA%/cura/5.4/ - if you're not sure where, just open Cura and click Show Configuration Folder in the Help menu.
    2. Download the main profile - the download button is at the top right:image.png.a3e0a89b8be73f355a61cd88e390fff7.png
    3. Put that file into the Definitions subfolder in the Cura configuration folder.
    4. Go back to the main config folder and open the Variants folder. If there isn't one already, inside there create a folder named creality (and I'm not sure if it's case sensitive so just make sure it's lower case).
    5. Download these files and put them inside the variants/creality/ folder:
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.2.inst.cfg
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.3.inst.cfg
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.4.inst.cfg
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.5.inst.cfg
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.6.inst.cfg
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.8.inst.cfg
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_1.0.inst.cfg
    6. Restart Cura (if necessary) and the profile for it should be there if you run the Add Printer wizard.

Note: If a final version (or future beta) of 5.5 does come with the profile built in, you'll need to delete the files from the configuration folder manually - new versions copy the configuration folder from older versions when installing.

added bit about 5.6 stable
    • Like 3
    • Thanks 1
    • Heart 2

On 9/23/2023 at 7:46 PM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Nope. The profile will work fine straight away.

Ok thanks.

i see the ender 3 V3 SE profile was merged on github but i dont see it in the new 5.5 release of cura. Am i going blind ?

2 hours ago, skooksInAU said:

i see the ender 3 V3 SE profile was merged on github but i dont see it in the new 5.5 release of cura. Am i going blind ?

No. It's in the main code branch but didn't make it into the 5.5 release branch. But you can still (and should) download the profile and add it manually like I explained in my earlier post.

• Like 3