Creality Ender 3 V3 SE is not avalible in UltiMaker Cura under add Printer

USY
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Creality Ender 3 V3 SE is not avalible in UltiMaker Cura under add Printer
On 10/14/2023 at 1:21 AM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Creality Print is forked from an older version of Cura so the configuration files are in a different format.

If you're going to use the profile for the v2 you really should change the retraction settings due to the direct drive extruder.

--BUT THE GOOD PART--

The first beta of Cura 5.5 doesn't contain the E3V3SE profile, the release version may or may not, but the files for it are in the Cura Github repo, so you can download the profile that will be in Cura (unless they make changes to it beforehand) and add it to your current installation.

1. Go to your Cura configuration folder. In Windows it's %APPDATA%/cura/5.4/ - if you're not sure where, just open Cura and click Show Configuration Folder in the Help menu.
  2. Download the main profile - the download button is at the top right:image.png.a3e0a89b8be73f355a61cd88e390fff7.png
  3. Put that file into the Definitions subfolder in the Cura configuration folder.
  4. Go back to the main config folder and open the Variants folder. If there isn't one already, inside there create a folder named creality (and I'm not sure if it's case sensitive so just make sure it's lower case).
  5. Download these files and put them inside the variants/creality/ folder:
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.2.inst.cfg
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.3.inst.cfg
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.4.inst.cfg
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.5.inst.cfg
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.6.inst.cfg
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.8.inst.cfg
    https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_1.0.inst.cfg
  6. Restart Cura (if necessary) and the profile for it should be there if you run the Add Printer wizard.

Note: If a final version (or future beta) of 5.5 does come with the profile built in, you'll need to delete the files from the configuration folder manually - new versions copy the configuration folder from older versions when installing.

Thanks for these instructions. When I try under 5.4 or 5.5 under on a Mac, I only get “Empty” listed under the  Nozzle for the material (PLA), when I select this v3 SE printer profile. I’m a novice at this so forgive me if this is something obvious or not connected. I think it might be to do with it not finding the files in the variant folder? I followed the instructions exactly as listed (and also tried putting the cfg files in the root of variants just in case). Any thoughts? Thanks 

Posted · Creality Ender 3 V3 SE is not avalible in UltiMaker Cura under add Printer
    2 hours ago, Special82 said:

Thanks for these instructions. When I try under 5.4 or 5.5 under on a Mac, I only get “Empty” listed under the  Nozzle for the material (PLA), when I select this v3 SE printer profile. I’m a novice at this so forgive me if this is something obvious or not connected. I think it might be to do with it not finding the files in the variant folder? I followed the instructions exactly as listed (and also tried putting the cfg files in the root of variants just in case). Any thoughts? Thanks 

Your diagnosis sounds about right, it's detecting the printer profile but not the nozzle variants. Although having just tested myself, apparently they do still work if they're in the base variants folder (if they're working at all, apparently), I didn't know that :).

I'm not a Mac person so I don't know if there's anything about Macs that would affect this, but my guess is "probably not", unless there's something different about how it handles filenames when searching for stuff, or something.

So to help try and pin this thing down:

1. Sorry to have to ask this, but even the best of us make mistakes. You used both "variant" and "variants" as the folder name in your post - make sure you're using the correct folder name (variants)
    2. Another "get the obvious things out of the way first": the files have exactly the same names as the ones in the repo, right? I've seen some software mess up filenames with multiple . characters in them.
    3. Do you get an error message anything like this when starting Cura?image.png.f8287d650ebe52391649c4852534ccef.png
      (that's what I get if I move the nozzle definitions to a folder where it can't see them - but if you click the X in the top right it just dismisses that without making any changes).
    4. In the Cura configuration directory there should be a file called cura.log - if you can upload that (just drag & drop it into the reply text box here) I can see if anything stands out.

Posted (edited) · Creality Ender 3 V3 SE is not avalible in UltiMaker Cura under add Printer

Solved: its under appdata/roaming and not local

This is not working for me, I put the files in /cura/5.5/cache or in /cura/5.5 and restart Cura but it is not showing in my list of printers 

image.png

Edited by tijsrx
    found solution

Hey Slashee,

I just wanted to thank you for providing the files and the tutorial for importing the profile into Cura, worked flawlessly and I see all nozzle profiles on Cura 5.5/Windows 11. I'm going to be testing the profile out this week and I'll report back here on how it goes for anyone else using an ender 3 v3 se.

Posted (edited) · Creality Ender 3 V3 SE is not avalible in UltiMaker Cura under add Printer

I second that, thanks a lot @Slashee_the_Cow. The profile worked for me for Cura 5.5 on Mac. I've printed 1 print successfully (that ain't much but a good smoke test 😉 )

I've seen recommendation to add 

M413 S0

for disabling the Power-Loss protection (apparently that caused some artifacts on the prints). I didn't see this gcode in the profile, but maybe this is no longer needed? My single print didn't have that artifact so I am not sure 🤷‍♂️

Also I should add that I print via Octoprint so the files are not stored on an SD card but in the Octoprint server.

Edited by matejkonecny
    added clarification

3 hours ago, matejkonecny said:

M413 S0

for disabling the Power-Loss protection (apparently that caused some artifacts on the prints). I didn't see this gcode in the profile, but maybe this is no longer needed? My single print didn't have that artifact so I am not sure

Haven't seen that one before. Might have to test it myself (I do print from card, so it might make a difference). Haven't seen any real problems yet (except a couple of prints that majorly failed for other reasons), but one of my life mantras is that just because something works doesn't mean it can't work better 🙂.

I'm just the messenger though, I didn't write the profile. If you think it'll help you could submit a feature request on the Cura HitHub repo, but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath (and you'd probably need to provide some evidence it makes a difference).

But in the meantime, definitely add it yourself if you want to (my startup code barely resembles the profile in the repo anyway). I'm about to, so I'll reply here if I notice a difference.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

But in the meantime, definitely add it yourself if you want to (my startup code barely resembles the profile in the repo anyway). I'm about to, so I'll reply here if I notice a difference.

Now I am curious about your startup code 🙂 

Sorry - double post

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

On 11/7/2023 at 6:28 AM, matejkonecny said:

M413 S0

for disabling the Power-Loss protection (apparently that caused some artifacts on the prints). I didn't see this gcode in the profile, but maybe this is no longer needed? My single print didn't have that artifact so I am not sure

I tried that. The only difference I noticed is when I accidentally hit the power switch one time a couple of hours into a print, I couldn't recover.

what can i do if my computer wont download the variant files because it says they can harm my device?

8 hours ago, CoreyMock said:

what can i do if my computer wont download the variant files because it says they can harm my device?

There's usually an option that says "Advanced" or something, you can click that and it should bring up an option letting you do it anyway. If you post a screenshot I can probably point you in the right direction.

Hi guys, can you tell me what to do with the ender 3 v3 KE printer? Can I use the profile from SE?

4 hours ago, beliy1985 said:

Hi guys, can you tell me what to do with the ender 3 v3 KE printer? Can I use the profile from SE?

Yes, they're similar enough that it should work.

I've followed the instructions 3x now, verified that the files are where they're supposed to be, and I'm still getting this error whenever it loads. No nozzle size selectable. 

I've attached the cura.log file as well for you to have a look at. Maybe your eyes can see what the issue is and why I'm unable to get this going.

Thnx in advance for the help.

cura5.5error.jpg

cura.log

34 minutes ago, MarvnDMartian said:

I've followed the instructions 3x now, verified that the files are where they're supposed to be, and I'm still getting this error whenever it loads. No nozzle size selectable. 

I've attached the cura.log file as well for you to have a look at. Maybe your eyes can see what the issue is and why I'm unable to get this going.

Thnx in advance for the help.

Looking at log file I can see where it's having the problem, I just can't figure out why.

2023-11-18 23:42:20,759 - ERROR - [MainThread] LocalContainerProvider.LocalContainerProvider.loadMetadata [166]: Exception: Unable to deserialize metadata for container C:\Users\terry_yje2hqj\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.5\variants\creality\creality_ender3v3se_0.4.inst.cfg: creality_ender3v3se_0.4: Missing required fields: 'general'

It can see all the correct files are exist, but thinks they're invalid.

It's expecting to see key "general" in the variant file... but those files start with it. Here's the contents of variants\creality\creality_ender3v3se_0.4.inst.cfg:

[general]
    definition = creality_ender3v3se
    name = 0.4mm Nozzle
    version = 4

[metadata]
    hardware_type = nozzle
    setting_version = 22
    type = variant

[values]
    machine_nozzle_size = 0.4

So I would go into the variants\creality\ folder and check to make sure your files look like that (I don't see why they wouldn't, unless the download was corrupted or something). All the other nozzle variant files should be the same, just with the name near the top and size at the bottom matching the size in the filename.

If all your nozzle files are good, then the problem is with how Cura is loading them... although if it's loading other definitions fine (have you tried adding another printer, like the Ender-3/Ender-3 v2 profile that comes with it and seeing if that has a problem) then I'm out of ideas, and if it isn't loading other definitions fine then I'd reinstall Cura.

You could also try using the Cura 5.6 beta, which has the profile included (and I haven't experienced any problems with the beta) but if you're going to install that then first you should remove the E3V3SE custom definition from your configuration folder (because it copies the configuration folder from the most recent version you've used, in this case 5.5) or else you might have a problem where.... actually I've never tried that, but if the definition in the config folder overrides the included definition, then it still might have trouble loading.

I think the problem is solved...I looked at the .cfg file code...this was on me...I just right-clicked and did save-as to try and save time when I clicked on the files...each .cfg file was an html coded file, not the cfg...I re-dl'd them and everything is fine now. Thank you...just your basic idiot here. 🤪

With Cura 5.6.0 released and including the profile, what are the recommended steps to get to the "base"? Just remove the files added via the zip file?

8 hours ago, matejkonecny said:

With Cura 5.6.0 released and including the profile, what are the recommended steps to get to the "base"? Just remove the files added via the zip file?

Pretty much. First remove the printer in Cura (or you'll probably get an error after you've removed the files), close Cura then go into the Cura config folder (it automatically copies the config folder from older versions) for 5.6 and delete all the files that were in the zip file, restart Cura and add the printer again and it should load it from the built in definitions.

• Like 1

Printing on the Ender 3 v3 KE, trying to use the SE profile but am getting a "model print error" message after the printer runs the Z-offset bits and goes back home. The same thing happened when I added the G29 command manually to my old profile G-code. What is causing this? I cant seem to get the bed leveling to work.. 

3 hours ago, ezoom404 said:

Printing on the Ender 3 v3 KE, trying to use the SE profile but am getting a "model print error" message after the printer runs the Z-offset bits and goes back home. The same thing happened when I added the G29 command manually to my old profile G-code. What is causing this? I cant seem to get the bed leveling to work.. 

I don't know about the KE off the top of my head, but the SE has a complex ABL system which you run manually from the home screen on the control panel. Last time I tried you couldn't even run a bed levelling through gcode because not only would it do a full test (which takes friggin ages) but then would want you to confirm the results in a screen which appeared underneath the printing information screen, so you couldn't press the confirm button, so your print couldn't go anywhere.

I think they fixed that in a firmware update (I'm not sure what the current behaviour is). If you print using the control panel on the printer there's a "Calibration" option on the confirmation screen which runs a more simple ABL process (which requires no user input) before the print (which obviously isn't much use for printing over USB). I'm not sure how do it in gcode but if I had to guess I'd say it's G29 P1 (or maybe G29 P1 C might do the same thing but use less points), just remember you'll need to run an M420 S1 after you home in the start of your gcode to enable bed levelling.

On 10/13/2023 at 10:21 PM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Creality Print is forked from an older version of Cura so the configuration files are in a different format.

If you're going to use the profile for the v2 you really should change the retraction settings due to the direct drive extruder.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE:

Cura 5.6 stable is now out and includes the profile for the E3V3SE. If you've already added it to an older version, you should remove the printer in Cura, go to Help > Show Configuration Folder, close Cura, and remove the previously added files, which are:

definitions/creality_ender3v3se.def.json

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.2.inst

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.3.inst

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.4.inst

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.5.inst

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.6.inst

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.8.inst

variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_1.0.inst

Then open Cura again and add a new copy of the printer (which will be coming from the built in definitions).

UPDATE UPDATE: The profile is in the Cura 5.6.0 beta. If you're cool running a beta version (I don't think I've had a problem with any of them, but I'm just one person) you can get it here. If you're not cool running beta versions, my instructions below still work.

UPDATE: The profile is in the main code base for Cura, but did not make it into the release branch for 5.5. Hopefully this means it will appear in an update soon. My instructions below are still valid, but:

--THE EASY WAY I SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF BEFORE--

I've attached a zip file containing all the files in one so you don't have to download them manually. Just go into your Cura configuration folder and extract it, making sure that the folder structure is kept intact - which it should be by default in most systems, so that the files go into the existing folders. Just open the zip file, drag and drop the folders into your Cura configuration folder.

ender3v3se-profile.zip 3.72 kB · 2,108 downloads

--THE ANNOYING WAY THAT WAS THE FIRST THING THAT CAME TO MIND--

--BUT THE GOOD PART--

The first beta of Cura 5.5 doesn't contain the E3V3SE profile, the release version may or may not, but the files for it are in the Cura Github repo, so you can download the profile that will be in Cura (unless they make changes to it beforehand) and add it to your current installation.

1. Go to your Cura configuration folder. In Windows it's %APPDATA%/cura/5.4/ - if you're not sure where, just open Cura and click Show Configuration Folder in the Help menu.
    2. Download the main profile - the download button is at the top right:image.png.a3e0a89b8be73f355a61cd88e390fff7.png
    3. Put that file into the Definitions subfolder in the Cura configuration folder.
    4. Go back to the main config folder and open the Variants folder. If there isn't one already, inside there create a folder named creality (and I'm not sure if it's case sensitive so just make sure it's lower case).
    5. Download these files and put them inside the variants/creality/ folder:
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.2.inst.cfg
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.3.inst.cfg
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.4.inst.cfg
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.5.inst.cfg
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.6.inst.cfg
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_0.8.inst.cfg
      https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/main/resources/variants/creality/creality_ender3v3se_1.0.inst.cfg
    6. Restart Cura (if necessary) and the profile for it should be there if you run the Add Printer wizard.

Note: If a final version (or future beta) of 5.5 does come with the profile built in, you'll need to delete the files from the configuration folder manually - new versions copy the configuration folder from older versions when installing.

I wanted to ask do you get other profiles from this cite bithub because i am having the same problem but i have a Ender-3 V3 

Which "exact problem" do you have?  The one where cura says your configuration is corrupt?

github has all the source code for Cura including profiles.  Using the files on github you can create your own cura but it's a complicated process recommended only for programmers. When you install cura it includes all the profiles from github.  So there is no advantage of going to github to find different profiles.  Github also is a place to submit issues and bugs about Cura and there is lots of discussion on there as well.

Above is a 2 minute tutorial on mesh modifiers.  You can change hundreds of settings with these - you often have to specify which settings you want to change and then also change them in the modifier. The modifier mesh does not have to be box like and can be any shape described by an STL.

If it were me, I'd have the infill meshes also created and placed using your CAD and output as separate STL files (you can probably have one STL file with the part, and one STL with all the modifier meshes - never tried that).

That way you can be very consistent.  It's pretty easy to overlap the STLs - make the modifiers first and then I think maybe you have to group them to get them to overlap with the same coordinate system.  If you can't figure this out you can always make the meshes manually just the way they were done in the tutorial.

46 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Which "exact problem" do you have?  The one where cura says your configuration is corrupt?

github has all the source code for Cura including profiles.  Using the files on github you can create your own cura but it's a complicated process recommended only for programmers. When you install cura it includes all the profiles from github.  So there is no advantage of going to github to find different profiles.  Github also is a place to submit issues and bugs about Cura and there is lots of discussion on there as well.

No, there's a new member of the family (the not confusingly at all named Ender-3 V3, which goes great when you already have the Ender-3 V3 SE and Ender-3 V3 KE, and now there's also the Ender-3 V3 Plus).

I think they're referring to my (apparently rather popular) post where I originally posted the links to the E3V3SE profile in GitHub (and then later made a download to make things easier) after they got pulled in to the main source tree but before the next major release, so you could get the "official" profile without waiting for 5.6 to come out.