Part of object not printed, though correctly sliced

Erik84750
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Part of object not printed, though correctly sliced

No, this is not a printer issue, nor a CAD issue (Anycubic Vyper and Freecad latest version).

A picture of the printed model is attached: I set the lighting so that the bottom part is visible. The issue is that the ridge on the left is printed with the correct thickness; but the bottom part to the right is not at the same height, it is depressed.

In the attached stl file the bottom part can be seen being at the same thickness as the ridge.

Size of the bottom part should be 3mm but is actually something like 1.5mm; the ridge though is ok.

Why does this bottom part not get printed on the same height as the ridge?

IMG_20230918_070107.jpg

triangle block v2-Body.stl

Are you using Cura 5.4? That has a few known slicing bugs. And by "a few" I mean "enough that around here we recommend people use 5.3.1 instead". So... try using 5.3.1 instead (you don't need to uninstall 5.4, they can be installed side by side).

Also if you could upload Cura project file (.3mf, go to File > Save Project in Cura) that would help with the detective work. Just the model file isn't much to go by when looking for problems in the print settings (though you provided something, which puts you as "more thoughtful than a lot of people").

23 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

"enough that around here we recommend people use 5.3.1 instead"

Out of curiosity: who is this "we"? I mostly see you saying this.

Cura 5.4 works fine for my prints. That does not mean that it does not have any bugs, but those bugs don't warrant a "don't use 5.4" response on every unrelated issue people run into.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Part of object not printed, though correctly sliced
    3 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Out of curiosity: who is this "we"? I mostly see you saying this.

Cura 5.4 works fine for my prints. That does not mean that it does not have any bugs, but those bugs don't warrant a "don't use 5.4" response on every unrelated issue people run into.

We, as emperor of cows, hath bestoweth the right upon ourself to make whatever the hell claims we want.

Or in the domain of Earth, to be technically correct I only need one other person to agree with me. Although I get my advice from up on high.

Besides, most of the time (although I'll admit, not this one) it's "try 5.3.1 and see if it helps" not "stay the hell away from 5.4". I usually only suggest it (even lightly) when there's an error slicing, though. Seen some screenshots of some pretty nasty slicing errors. Have had a couple myself (not as ridiculous as some, but still print-breaking).

/me focuses intently on stifling urge to go full on defensive and write 3+ paragraphs justifying behaviour

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    added joke about defensive

I just noticed in your picture that it didn't print the edge on top. Almost like some sneaky gremlin moved it from the top to what is now the bottom lip... it worries me how accurate that description is.

I hate to be a hassle (I should think to ask for these things all at once), but there's nothing obviously wrong to me in the Cura project (other than that for whatever reason it doesn't include what size nozzle you're using, but if that's the problem, then I'll eat a whole plate of tripe). Are you using any post processors, and could you upload the gcode file it produced?

Hi Slashee, the top edge, jus tlike all other outer edges, have been filleted, hence the rounded look.

And the edge on top is as it was designed in Freecad, so no issue there.

No, the size of the nozzle is not an issue although it is nice for you to mention that: I will include that in future Cura projects.

Where do I find, or how to produce, the gcode file?

/me curses lack of spatial reasoning ability for thinking things look wrong

The gcode file is the file the containing the machine instructions to actually print, i.e. I put mine on an SD card to shuttle them over to the printer.

In Cura, at the bottom right, after you slice it, there should be a "Save to" option of some sort (sometimes it's to disk, sometimes to removable media, depends where you last saved it). I don't know if it's different if you actually run the print through Cura, but shouldn't be too hard to find a way to save it.

Here it is Slashee, and thanks for that info!

AV_triangle block v2-Body.gcode

Does the problem show in the preview after slicing in cura ?

43 minutes ago, obewan said:

Does the problem show in the preview after slicing in cura ?

No

Edited by Erik84750
    syntax

The 3mf is in a different orientation than the gcode. Is the gcode the actual gcode you printed?

Cura doesn't always correctly render g-code perfectly (and I don't have time to go through it manually - that's @GregValiant's thing, but the first thing I notice is that you're printing it facing down - I'd print it laying on its back, like you showed in your photo. It means if there's something awry it's usually caught where nobody can see it, instead of on the front face.

That's because when I look at the bottom layer I see this: image.thumb.png.0a595b2ce48fee75ebd4a17e13043df0.png

Red is outer wall. Green is inner wall. The misshapen yellow bits are two walls of a floor/ceiling that don't quite fit between the walls. You could try going into Quality > Initial Layer Line Width and turn it up so there's no room for it to try and generate those. The next few layers also have small bits of floor/ceiling showing because of the slight fillet you have around that bottom edge, and could cause issues if it's trying to print walls at varying widths.

As I said, I think the problem is that you're printing open side down. Just print it laying on its back:

image.png.5df26afe8ce3ae56102b1f3540e4387e.png

That way the bottom is just floor, but you're still getting your slight fillet because of the walls on the layers above coming out a bit:

image.thumb.png.dc013b15fa7e441d211029d5261d152f.png

So main takeaway: try printing it laying on its back. It's not like the slope is severe enough that you'd need supports or anything. And then it can just do the walls the correct thickness (hopefully) instead of getting caught in a messed up bottom.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

The 3mf is in a different orientation than the gcode. Is the gcode the actual gcode you printed?

I can't remember except indeed I had the object flipped over to have the open face looking upward. Or: the gcode shows as it is entered in the printer (Anycubic Vyper).

Edited by Erik84750
    typo

4 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

As I said, I think the problem is that you're printing open side down. Just print it laying on its back:

image.png.5df26afe8ce3ae56102b1f3540e4387e.png

So main takeaway: try printing it laying on its back. It's not like the slope is severe enough that you'd need supports or anything. And then it can just do the walls the correct thickness (hopefully) instead of getting caught in a messed up bottom.

Strange, I had them printed with the open face looking upward, as in the blue picture..??

And here a new version of this same block, slightly different design; this one printed fine.

Face down.

AV_triangle block v3a-Body.3mf AV_triangle block v3a-Body.gcode

13 minutes ago, Erik84750 said:

And here a new version of this same block, slightly different design; this one printed fine.

Let me cast my eye over the first layer again:

image.thumb.png.022ab8bd1d94fa59d2d2d4d2a6bcbdee.png

You've made the walls thicker (by at least .5mm, according to my rough measurements. More so for that right side.. There's plenty more space for that floor to not get in the way.

image.thumb.png.8843f0862473e11d5699406b225cda9c.png

You've removed the fillet from that face (on the left). Less complex geometry is always easier to slice and print. Especially because it means it has a sharp angle to the top so there's a lot less chance of it trying to print floor/ceiling there on the off chance you might see it in the fillet.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

I'd still highly, very highly recommend you print it this way up though:

image.thumb.png.29bd7af5c2dc002310463cb732ab618f.png

It might work face down, but a face without a filleted edge is the best side to have on the plate, because it can just do walls and a big floor, not worry about making sure to be able to have the filleted edge and have the correct internal geometry in case you see it.

3 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

It might work face down, but a face without a filleted edge is the best side to have on the plate, because it can just do walls and a big floor, not worry about making sure to be able to have the filleted edge and have the correct internal geometry in case you see it.

Thank you very much for that analysis!!

I will take that into account in the future; I was not aware of these Cura sensitivities.

Edited by Erik84750
    typo

• Solution
    10 hours ago, Erik84750 said:

Thank you very much for that analysis!!

I will take that into account in the future; I was not aware of these Cura sensitivities.

Not really a Cura sensitivity, more just common practice when it comes to printing that if you have a flat face, you print on that, unless you have a good reason not to, like if orienting the model that way would require three bazillion tons of support somewhere, or you know you get better quality on a horizontal/vertical surface and you have a showcase part you want to make sure is oriented the way where it will print with the best quality.

If I don't have a flat face (or I have a good reason not to use it) I usually lift the model off the plate by a few (depending on the model, usually 3-5) millimetres (in Cura you might have to open the move tool - the arrows in the left sidebar - and turn off Drop Down Model, which makes it so that automatically the lowest part of the model will always be moved down to touch the build plate) and add supports below it. That way whatever is facing the bottom doesn't suffer the common pitfalls of being on the bottom (like if the plate isn't clean it'll pick it up, sometimes the bottom layer can get a bit squished, stuff like that) and it can adhere to the support instead of the bed (usually adheres a lot better to itself than the bed).

If that results in it wanting to print a bunch of supports where they're not needed, first you can try in the print settings, change Support > Support Placement to Touching Buildplate which will make it only try and support areas which have a direct line to the baseplate (i.e. not inside the model). You could also add support blockers - in the left sidebar, the icon that looks like the support icon but with an x at the bottom right, open that, click somewhere on your model and it will create one (that looks like a pathetic little cube). It will appear in the object list in the bottom left (if it's not expanded, click the ˄ next to Object List), so you can then select it, move it around, scale and rotate it like you can with a model. If you want to really get into customising support blockers, then you should install a plugin like (or exactly) this one.

• Like 1