Help! Received used Ultimaker 2 Go without the power supply

nushki
Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted (edited) · Help! Received used Ultimaker 2 Go without the power supply

Hi,

My kid is thrilled that she won a used Ultimaker 2 Go from her middle school. The only issue is it didn't come with the power supply/cable. Can someone please point me to where to get a replacement one? 

I found this one on Amazon for $129 which seems way too much: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Compatible-Ultimaker-Extended-Printer/dp/B09X7D18M1/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2T1OTIPZI6VDX&keywords=Ultimaker+2+%2B+power+cord&qid=1694885932&s=electronics&sprefix=ultimaker+2+%2B+power+co%2Celectronics%2C199&sr=1-4&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

Thanks in advance, Ahna

Edited by nushki

Posted (edited) · Help! Received used Ultimaker 2 Go without the power supply

One of the UltiMaker savvy folks will respond.  @gr5 or at @Torgeir may have an idea where to get a regular power supply from.  That "solid gold" one on Amazon is a bit much.  The description states "240 input voltage" and "240 output voltage".  My question would be "what's it really doing?".

You probably only need a brick that has the input voltage to match your home, and with the correct voltage-out and the correct male output plug to match the printer. 

Edited by GregValiant

• Solution
    Posted · Help! Received used Ultimaker 2 Go without the power supply

That has more power than you need.  The um2go doesn't come with a heated bed so you can use a lower value power supply.  Actually I sell heated beds for um2go and you still don't need to upgrade the power supply (there's a trick if you want to use the smaller power supply and also a heated bed).

Anyway, here is the official power supply part information:

company: Mean Well

part number; GS120A24-R7B

If you are in USA I recommend digikey.com.  $50.

Her school likely has the power supply.  They just lost it.  Maybe she can find it?  Google it to see what it looks like.

• Like 1

Hi @gr5 - 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found the one you mentioned of digikey.com for $50:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc./GST120A24-R7B/7703596?utm_adgroup=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PMax Shopping_Product_High ROAS Categories&utm_term=&utm_content=&gclid=CjwKCAjw6p-oBhAYEiwAgg2Pgky_Wof74oGsvFwopFjwMk45K8j3BesrJIRQptiRK2VhpLwp6fZ3IRoClkIQAvD_BwE

It looks like what we need, but just seems awfully expensive to invest in an old model 3d printer for a kid (I was told by the teacher that it is "finnicky"). Do you see any cheaper alternatives?

And yes, her school seems to have lost the old power supply 😞

Thank you!

After you get the power supply, if you don't use it after a year, sell it.  I would guess you can get $400 if you include the power supply.

It's a really tough printer.  It can print 10,000 hours.  You can check the hours once after you get the power supply, lol.  Yes it may need some work to get going though.  There are indeed many chinese printers for under $150 but they tend to be pretty crappy and won't last as long as the um2go.  I have 3 um2go's.  I use them the most.  I don't need any more though, lol.

You may have to replace the teflon part as well ($20) if it has more than 1000 hours.  Anyway you won't know until you try it.

But *any* 3d printer you get will be a learning curve.  I think it takes about 100 prints before you can consistently print something and know it will turn out really nice and not fail or something.  It's more like learning to use a CNC router than learning to use a 2D printer.  There's stuff to learn.