Prepare and Preview are different (wrong gcode?)

Sonic3389
Go to solution Solved by ahoeben,

Posted · Prepare and Preview are different (wrong gcode?)

So this is a new one, I've got a model with some embossed text on it. When I add the STL into Cura in the prep view it looks fine, then I slice and the preview page has random parts of the text missing?

This is reflected in the gcode and print... I've tried to show pics as best I can.

cura3.png

cura2.png

cura1.png

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · Prepare and Preview are different (wrong gcode?)

If they were the same, then why would we need to have both?

Here's a good article from the Settings Guide plugin on the subject of missing parts: https://github.com/Ghostkeeper/SettingsGuide/blob/master/resources/articles/troubleshooting/missing_parts.md

Either the details are too small to print with your current configuration, or your model is faulty ("non-manifold"). From just the screenshots, it is hard to see which of these two options is the problem here.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

haha title wording could prob have been better sure, just didn't know how to describe it.

But you're answer was correct, it seems the details are too small so Cura is just cutting them out, not something I've seen before in my 4 years of using Cura.

Thanks v.much!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sonic3389 said:

But you're answer was correct, it seems the details are too small so Cura is just cutting them out

In the print settings you can turn on Walls > Print Thin Walls and Cura will try its darndest to print as similar to the model as it can, although I'm not sure if it would work on thin text placed on a vertical surface.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

In the print settings you can turn on Walls > Print Thin Walls and Cura will try its darndest to print as similar to the model as it can, although I'm not sure if it would work on thin text placed on a vertical surface.

Thanks a lot for this tip, for now I've just increased the size of the text and repositioned it so it still fits on the piece.

I may experiment with this in future as its likely I might want to add more text later.

1 hour ago, Sonic3389 said:

I may experiment with this in future as its likely I might want to add more text later.

It's going to have the easiest time trying to print thin text if it's on the top surface, but reorienting your entire model isn't always a feasible solution. You could try using a smaller nozzle and/or a thinner line width, but then overhangs (like if your text is going to be on the side) can't go out as far (although if you don't want it to go out far, no big loss).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

It's going to have the easiest time trying to print thin text if it's on the top surface, but reorienting your entire model isn't always a feasible solution. You could try using a smaller nozzle and/or a thinner line width, but then overhangs (like if your text is going to be on the side) can't go out as far (although if you don't want it to go out far, no big loss).

Yeah a smaller nozzle would help for sure, im using 0.8mm, but I think I've been able to make it work.

I can't change the piece orientation as you've guessed, if I need to add more text in future and make it smaller I'll try Thin Walls or a smaller nozzle. thanks again.

Actually I think it prints much better on a side wall.  Much cleaner looking text.  Also if you make text go INTO the part instead of sticking out - that will make it so you can use much thinner/smaller fonts.  

36 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Actually I think it prints much better on a side wall.  Much cleaner looking text.

I'm not sure that would work so well when you're using whatever line width accompanies a 0.8mm nozzle... but you probably have a lot more experience than me, so I must defer to your wisdom.

6 hours ago, gr5 said:

Actually I think it prints much better on a side wall.  Much cleaner looking text.  Also if you make text go INTO the part instead of sticking out - that will make it so you can use much thinner/smaller fonts.  

yup, this is recessed text. I found the min text height I could use was around the 5.6-5.8mm mark with a 0.8mm nozzle.

On a side wall the left/right resolution is much better than .1mm.  It's the servo step size.  The up/down resolution is whatever your layer height is.

When printing on a top surface (if sticking out) then the font has to be wider than the trace of filament extruded which can only be a little bit smaller than the nozzle size.

If the font is embedded down into the part then the corners of for example the right angle corners of a T will be rounded roughly by the nozzle diameter: so a 0.8mm nozzle will have 0.4mm radius inner corners.  .4mm >> .1mm although it's not completely an apples to apples comparison.

Maybe a better example is lithophanes (google image search it).  They are MUCH better resolution when printed on the side of a wall.  Anyway it's just my personal experience that walls are better.