Tiny holes and gaps on walls and Z seam

neoweiter
Go to solution Solved by neoweiter,

• Solution
Posted (edited) · Tiny holes and gaps on walls and Z seam

Well, I guess I solved my issue by using Creality Slicer. Seems like their default settings works best for my printer.

Not sure what did the gaps disappear, but I noticed the retraction distance is 0.8mm with Creality, instead of 2-3mm with Cura. There must be something else, because I tested with 0.5mm and no retraction at all, and I still had gaps.

Hope this could help 🙂

Thanks everyone

20231020_075422.jpg

Edited by neoweiter

Posted · Tiny holes and gaps on walls and Z seam
    4 hours ago, neoweiter said:

Well, I guess I solved my issue by using Creality Slicer. Seems like their default settings works best for my printer.

Not sure what did the gaps disappear, but I noticed the retraction distance is 0.8mm with Creality, instead of 2-3mm with Cura. There must be something else, because I tested with 0.5mm and no retraction at all, and I still had gaps.

Well at least you have better luck than me. I've tried Creality Print a few times and all those times the prints failed but Cura could slice them so they'd print properly.

It's probably that there's some settings in Creality's profile for your printer that are the ones in Cura, because profiles for all non-Ultimaker printers are provided by the community (and I should probably file a ticket or something, because there are at least a couple of parts of the E3V3SE profile in the GitHub repo which just aren't accurate, which is why I just made a custom profile for mine).

Unfortunately, Creality Print is based on an older version of Cura so the profiles can't be directly transferred. You can copy all the relevant settings between the two, but it'd take a bit of manual work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've notice this on all my prints since Cura 5.4. All my old profiles use to function without really any Z seam. Now for some reason the Z seam is super prevalent with larger gaps. Did the machine settings for UM3 and UM5 all have changes to their profiles that are making them have larger gaps at the Z-seams?

Are you using the engineering profiles?  I have no idea if this is related but engineering profiles are meant to be extra accurate but not be as "pretty".  So z seams prominence would not be a high priority in those profiles.  I'm probably way off base but just checking.

• Like 1

They were some old profiles that I had before that I tuned for quite some time. Had the same 6.5mm retraction at 25mm/s. The other profiles that I tried were I think the standard profiles. Most everything came out really well except for the z seam. Its hard to even see the layer lines on the print.