ER05 - Z Switch Is Broken, but It's Not!

2go

Posted (edited) · ER05 - Z Switch Is Broken, but It's Not!

Ultimaker 2+, very old. Out of the blue, I received this error: ER05 - Z Switch Is Broken. If I try to perform any action related to the Z-axis when the bed is near the Z switch, it buzzes loudly for about ten seconds, and the error is displayed again. I unplugged the printer and turned it over to inspect the Z Switch. The connections look fine, and I can make the Z switch go 'click' with my fingers. After fidgeting for a few minutes, I randomly homed the bed with the printer lying on its side, and it worked just fine. When I put it upright, the error reappeared. Obviously, I cannot print with it lying on its side, so... any suggestions?

Quick update with poor-quality pictures: When the printer is on its side, the screw only lightly presses the Z switch. However, when the printer is upright, it goes in really deep, and the error is displayed.

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

Edited by 2go
edit

Posted · ER05 - Z Switch Is Broken, but It's Not!

Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas. I am currently running a very old build of the @tinkergnome firmware, and I have not factory reset any of my printers since before Covid. I'll try resetting this one to factory settings; however, I doubt it will solve the issue.

i-needs-help-help-meme.jpeg

Hi

Its not a very big job to replace the micro limit switch, it is a switch that will over a long period wear as in maybe a poor connection inside. The switches work in one of two modes always open or always closed so if the controller was getting an strange signal it will fail, to protect the machine from damage.

I am not sure if such a part is available from an UM supplier but I have replaced one of the other limit switches and they are very inexpensive to buy, I think I bought a pack of ten online

good luck

S

8 hours ago, stu_le_brew said:

Hi

Its not a very big job to replace the micro limit switch, it is a switch that will over a long period wear as in maybe a poor connection inside. The switches work in one of two modes always open or always closed so if the controller was getting an strange signal it will fail, to protect the machine from damage.

I am not sure if such a part is available from an UM supplier but I have replaced one of the other limit switches and they are very inexpensive to buy, I think I bought a pack of ten online

good luck

S

Thanks. I switched out the faulty part with another one from a working printer, and it works just fine. The faulty one was working intermittently, then completely died. Right now, I have 6 printers, but only 5 working Z limit switches. By any chance, do you remember where you bought yours? I will send an email to the UM supplier right now. However, if they can't source it, that would suck. I can find the part in the US for a few bucks, but I need one in the EU relatively fast 😞

I can't remember exactly where I bought them but a quick search for "Micro Limit Switch Lever Arm" on Amazon (FR in my case as I live in France) brought up lots of options, but you will need to do some soldering - which is not so difficult !

example , another example

just a s a mater of interest which country are you in ?

S

12 hours ago, stu_le_brew said:

I can't remember exactly where I bought them but a quick search for "Micro Limit Switch Lever Arm" on Amazon (FR in my case as I live in France) brought up lots of options, but you will need to do some soldering - which is not so difficult !

example , another example

just a s a mater of interest which country are you in ?

S

Currently in Sweden, but will be moving back home shortly. Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about soldering. Anyway, I've found one ready to use in Germany for €4.95 plus double that for shipping. Somewhat unrelated, but I really miss the days when you could order parts directly from Ultimaker instead of going through a reseller. Just got back an email from them regarding sourcing the Z-limit switch—'Not if we dont have it on the website.' What use are they then?