Ultimaker S3 Auto-Levelling Issues

JoeCurtis
Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted · Ultimaker S3 Auto-Levelling Issues

Hi,

I am having issues when my S3 prints any component.

The printer auto levels before every print, which is fine. My issue is that while this is happening the printer core is being heated up and leaves small traces of the filament wherever the printer core touches the bed due to the levelling.

Is there a way to delay the heating of the printer core until the levelling is finished either in the printer settings itself, G-code, or in Cura somewhere?

Open to any suggestions.

Cheers,

Joe

• Solution
    Posted · Ultimaker S3 Auto-Levelling Issues

it's critical that the core is hot because if the filament is solid on the tip then it will level too high above the bed.  Leveling sensor notices when the bed stops moving towards the head (because they have physically touched).  So anything on the tip of the nozzle would mess that up.

I don't have any great suggestions but:

1) You can hang out at the printer with a putty knife ready and after it finishes all the leveling points it pauses to reheat the bed and nozzles (the power has to be off during leveling as the EMF from that can mess up the leveling sensor).  Clean the bed at that moment (you have maybe 3 minutes).

2) There is really only one spot that gets the most tiny bits of plastic.  You can try to position your print to avoid that spot.

3) You can ignore it like I do and get a slightly different looking spot on the bottom of your prints.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 26 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies