G-Code flavor setting - smoothie MKS SBASE printer

rimbo
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · G-Code flavor setting - smoothie MKS SBASE printer

Hi!

I've got an MKS SBASE v1.3 smoothieware based printer called LUME Plus that is not in the printer list of any slicer software I know of. I have Marlin G-Code selected right now. Should I change it to something different? There's no "smoothie*" on the list.

https://lumeplus.wixsite.com/

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · G-Code flavor setting - smoothie MKS SBASE printer

I couldn't find any information about the printer (the link is a 404) but looking up the motherboard it does support Marlin as well as its own language.

So that's a "no, you don't have to change it, Marlin works"

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    fixed typo, added clarification
    • Like 2

Posted (edited) · G-Code flavor setting - smoothie MKS SBASE printer
    c:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.5.0\share\cura\resources\definitions\smoothie.def.json

Maybe this will help.

Regarding smoothieware.org, use this link: https://web.archive.org/web/20230825081250/http://www.smoothieware.org/

Edited by DivingDuck
    • Like 1

Thank you all so much! A nice change from constant ghosting or having a legitimate issue marked as spam in some other forums!

Here's the fixed link for my curious Polish startup printer ;)

https://lumeplus.wixsite.com/lume

That link for smoothieware definitions JSON seems interesting. I don't know what it is yet though :)

On 11/22/2023 at 7:33 PM, DivingDuck said:
    c:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.5.0\share\cura\resources\definitions\smoothie.def.json

Maybe this will help.

Regarding smoothieware.org, use this link: https://web.archive.org/web/20230825081250/http://www.smoothieware.org/

That link is golden as well! I have only seen singular pages of SR.

BTW, I failed FW upgrade once and I reverted to the first ancient FW from like 2017 from the printer manufacturer. Was I lucky or is reflashing old smoothieware versions a standard operating procedure? I'm asking because it's tempting to try to flash a firmware that is 5 years newer than the one installed.

4 hours ago, rimbo said:

Was I lucky or is reflashing old smoothieware versions a standard operating procedure? I'm asking because it's tempting to try to flash a firmware that is 5 years newer than the one installed.

Smoothieware specifically? Not sure. A lot of printers based on Marlin or RepRap? Easy and done frequently. In the case of my printer it will take any firmware file which doesn't have the same filename as the last one installed and treat that as an upgrade.

Just remember one of the golden rules: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rimbo said:

Was I lucky or is reflashing old smoothieware versions a standard operating procedure?

No and yes 🙂

You mentioned your firmware was from 2017. Smoothieware introduce in 2020 (if I remember correct) some changes that may break with your old config file.

It is not a big deal but you need to download the actual config template from their Github page and transfer the config values from your old file into the new one. It's a one-timer and didn't happen since then again. Use the actual firmware that they provide on Github as they did quite some changes since 2017 and fix some errors as well. You can also copy/download the "actual" source code as well and compile the firmware yourself if you like to do so.

And don't forget to backup your actual firmware and config file (but I guess you did already...)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Just remember one of the golden rules: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But that's not how I roll 😄 I'm going to compromise on the insanity and fiddle with the firmware only after I print all the files I need for the project I bought the printer for in the first place.

11 hours ago, DivingDuck said:

No and yes 🙂

You mentioned your firmware was from 2017. Smoothieware introduce in 2020 (if I remember correct) some changes that may break with your old config file.

It is not a big deal but you need to download the actual config template from their Github page and transfer the config values from your old file into the new one. It's a one-timer and didn't happen since then again. Use the actual firmware that they provide on Github as they did quite some changes since 2017 and fix some errors as well. You can also copy/download the "actual" source code as well and compile the firmware yourself if you like to do so.

And don't forget to backup your actual firmware and config file (but I guess you did already...)

THIS is the answer I was looking for! Thanks again!