Never been able to open .3mf files in cura

rpattonny

Posted (edited) · Never been able to open .3mf files in cura

just what the title says i have not been able to open any .3mf file in cura have always update straight from ultimaker website when prompted. i try file>open ive tried dragging and dropping and directly clicking the file most of the time i get no error but sometimes it gives the attached error "no models in file" several differant files 

Screenshot 2023-12-02 211507.png

Edited by rpattonny

Posted · Never been able to open .3mf files in cura

Could you please go to your Cura configuration directory (in Cura, go to File > Show Configuration Folder) and upload the cura.log file?

Also if you could provide a sample or two of 3mf files which don't work that would help.

I can't really see anything wrong in the log file - unfortunately when there's no visible culprit the first resort is the software version of "turn it off then on again" -  a clean reinstall. There's instructions for it in this support article. Just make sure you download a fresh copy instead of running the installer you have because the download may have been corrupted.

Hi,

is there an update to this issue?

I've got the same problem "No Model in file" and it is also a file from makerworld.

Regards

3 hours ago, Breuer-IT said:

it is also a file from makerworld.

It's possible their 3mf files are somehow incorrectly formatted - 3MF is an open source standard and Cura shouldn't have any trouble reading valid files (the format supports features Cura doesn't have, but Cura just ignores them).

Posted (edited) · Never been able to open .3mf files in cura

Hi Everyone.

I too am having some problems opening a .3mf file - but this one is from makerworld. Here is a link to it: https://makerworld.com/en/models/71322#profileId-75511

Here's the error I get

image.png.082fb90fbe0e23d28e3dcccd1d5e2d5e.png

I even tried downloading Prusa slicer (v2.7.2 is the latest at the time of this post), that couldn't open it either (says the 3mf file is corrupt). I then went to SwiftConverter (https://www.swiftconverter.com/converter.html?threed) which then converted the .3mf to a STL for me, but I only got the top part and no rear lid. I googled some more and found this 

where OP claims he can't open the 3mf in 5.3.0 but can do in older versions. So I downloaded & installed v 5.2.0, and that couldn't open it either.

Edit, oops, ended up posting this before I finished my reply.

In the end what I had to do is download and install Bambu Studio, then open the .3mf there (worked successfully) and then went to file -> export -> all models as STL

Now I can and open & print in Cura.

Edit 2: You can actually go to file -> export -> generic 3mf, and that will now open in Cura (and presumably other slicers too). Looks like in typical fashion Bambu 3mfs don't open in other slicers.

Edited by SamPilgrimsTooth
    • Like 1

@SamPilgrimsTooth Awesome investigation work there.

2 hours ago, SamPilgrimsTooth said:

Edit 2: You can actually go to file -> export -> generic 3mf, and that will now open in Cura (and presumably other slicers too). Looks like in typical fashion Bambu 3mfs don't open in other slicers.

Fun fact that explains a lot: Bambu was started by a group of engineers who worked at Apple.

• Laugh 1

Actually most of them worked for DJI

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dustin said:

Actually most of them worked for DJI

It only takes one bad Apple to spoil the bunch.

• Laugh 1

Same problem here, No models in file when trying to open a 3mf from Makerworld

5 hours ago, X-Type said:

Same problem here, No models in file when trying to open a 3mf from Makerworld

Please post the file or a link to it, but as discussed above it may be a problem with the file itself rather than Cura.