Can't use the entire build volume when increasing bed size of an existing machine

justGuner
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Can't use the entire build volume when increasing bed size of an existing machine

I have created a printer profile derived from an Ender 3 v2 profile for a custom corexy machine. Among other changes that I had to do was increasing the bed size to 260x260. The problem is, no matter what I do, when I improt a model, there are dark grey areas that form around the old bed size that don' let me utilize the entirety of the bed.

Cura bed with model.png

Cura empty bed.png

Cura model over dark grey.png

Posted · Can't use the entire build volume when increasing bed size of an existing machine

Those are defined as disallowed areas in the machines definition file. In the definition file for the Ender-3/Ender-3 v2 (in Windows, default location C:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.6.0\share\cura\resources\definitions\crealiy_ender3.json) it's this bit:

"machine_disallowed_areas":
            {
                "default_value": [
                    [
                        [-117.5, 117.5],
                        [-117.5, 108],
                        [117.5, 108],
                        [117.5, 117.5]
                    ],
                    [
                        [-117.5, -108],
                        [-117.5, -117.5],
                        [117.5, -117.5],
                        [117.5, -108]
                    ]
                ]
            },

Delete that bit and those areas you can't place anything will be gone. They're there to represent the parts of the build place you can't normally use without performing some tricks to get it to use the whole bed. They also don't work, as I've printed stuff within the valid area and it's been cut off when printing (I just changed the profile to remove the disallowed areas and made the bed smaller.

If you only edit the file in the Cura installation folder, it'll get replaced with every new version you install. You're better off making a custom profile - go to the Cura configuration folder (in Cura, go to Help > Show Configuration Folder), go into the definitions folder and make a copy of the profile, rename it (like in a spur of creativity I renamed my custom version of the E3V3SE profile to creality_ender3v3se_slashee.json). Open the file and change name near the top (doesn't really matter what to, just how it shows up in Cura), delete the disallowed areas and increase machine_depth and machine_width.

Then you'll just need the nozzle files, by default in C:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.6.0\share\cura\resources\variants\creality in Windows. Copy the files for the profile you've based it on (the start will be the same filename as the printer definition) into the variants subfolder in the Cura configuration folder. Rename them all to match your new definition file, then you just need to open them and change the definition they're specified to be for, i.e. one of the default nozzles for the E3V3SE is:

[general]
    definition = creality_ender3v3se
    name = 0.4mm Nozzle
    version = 4

[metadata]
    hardware_type = nozzle
    setting_version = 22
    type = variant

[values]
    machine_nozzle_size = 0.4

In my case I need to change definition to creality_ender3v3se_slashee, in your case replace it the filename (minus the .def.json) with whatever you renamed your printer definition to. Do that for all the nozzle sizes and next time you start Cura hopefully your custom definition will appear.

Okay, I'll admit I'm not always the best writer, so forgive me for this stupid question but it's a step I'll admit I left out: Have you tried to add it as a new printer through the add printer wizard?

49 minutes ago, justGuner said:

I did, but I didn't know where to look for it

If you just copied an existing profile and changed the name of the machine but not the manufacturer, it'll appear under that manufacturer:

image.thumb.png.2c2c69507124c9a28fcae7023c0d4e86.png

(Just because I made my own profile for the E3V3SE even after it was added to Cura doesn't mean you should, kids)

It seems that I solved one problem but created another.

My mistake was not ading .def to the name of the profile. However, now when I start cura I am greeted with this message:

Screenshot 2023-12-23 144210.png

You definitely don't want to reset. If you upload the definition file (you can put it in a zip file to attach it to a post here) I can have a look. Cura is very particular about definition files being juuuuuuuuuust right.

• Solution

I was going to say the definition looks a little sparse but I looked up the stock E3S1Pro definition and... that's pretty sparse to begin with.

Anyway, let's just say that editing definition files in a language you're probably completely unfamiliar with is not your forte.

I fixed up the machine definition file and in case the nozzles give you any trouble (it'll probably say something about not having any quality settings and you also won't be able to select a nozzle size) I also made some of those. Checked it on my computer to make sure it works. Remember the nozzle files (the .inst.cfg ones) go in the variants\creality\ subfolder of your configuration folder.

creality_ender3s1pro_corexy.def.json.zip

Thanks for your help, it works just fine now!