Performing hot pull and other maintenance after pausing print.

gavinf

Posted · Performing hot pull and other maintenance after pausing print.

Is there a way to perform hot/ cold pulls during a print after pausing it? I'm using a ultimaker s5. If not, when will this basic functionality be added?

I've never tried it but I'm pretty sure you can do it.  You pause it.  You set the temp to normal printing temp for the nozzle you want to clean.  I like to remove the bowden (yes in the middle of a print is fine).  Push down until filament is coming out.  Then lower the temp to the cold temp.  For PLA I usually do 80C and start pulling as I raise it to 100C.  Use a snipper to remove the gunk on the tip.  Repeat.  You don't need a stinking menu/guide to explain the steps.  Just do the steps.  By now you should know how to do a cold pull.  If not there are easily 100 videos on how to do a cold pull on every imaginable printer and they are all basically the same.

When things are good, put the bowden back in, extrude manually until it comes out the nozzle, resume print.

I'm guessing you want it as a procedure in the firmware during a pause.  I don't.  It's likely to just add more bugs.  Better to keep things simple and do the cold pull yourself.  It's not complicate.

Posted (edited) · Performing hot pull and other maintenance after pausing print.

Thank you gr5, but I've tried that. You can't set the temperature, its grayed out. I basically have to start and stop the print in order to increase the temp to pushing temperature. 

No other replies are needed at this time.

Edited by gavinf

Oh.  That's pretty stupid that it's grayed out.  Hmm.  But you can "change" the filamant while paused, right?  Can you mess with the temperature during that part?  I guess you can change the print core - I mean while changing the filament you should be able to swap cores.  Hmm.  Only if it cools the core - if you remove a core while hot then it will lock up and the only option is power cycling at that point.

See this is why I prefer *fewer* fancy features.  I should have complete control over things like nozzle temp and bed temp at any time.  Especially when paused.  They added this feature to gray out features when paused.  Not good in my opinion.

Agreed, that's the most frustrating thing about this product is the lack of mobility. Thank you for the changing filament suggestion. I will use the purging function (where it prints until the colors change) to act as my "hot pull". Thank you again for the advice.