How can I include our 3D printer in the released version of Cura?

sakurai-ma

Posted · How can I include our 3D printer in the released version of Cura?

Hi, 

We would like to have the 3D printer we created on the released version of Cura.

Machine profiles are prepared.
Do I need to apply to be included in the release version?
What are the necessary steps?

Also, when are new 3D printers usually added? At the time of minor version upgrade?

Thanks.

You need to push a branch with the profiles to the Cura GitHub repo and submit a pull request.

It can take quite a while for profiles to be added, even after they've been submitted and the pull request has been made (I'm talking months sometimes).

Cura tends to have very few minor releases, and they're usually to fix some pretty nasty bugs that made it into the major release. Profiles only tend to be added in the major releases.

5 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

You need to push a branch with the profiles to the Cura GitHub repo 

Actually, you need to create a "fork" of the Cura Github repo, create a new branch on that fork, and then submit a pull request from that branch back into the "main" branch on the Ultimaker Cura repo. You cannot create a branch on the Ultimaker Cura repo directly.

Also, just to get the version terminology correct: The version scheme is Major.Minor.Patch. This is called "semantic versioning". So the current version is major version 5, minor version 6, no bugfix release. New machines definitions are included in new minor versions of Cura, so the first update that could include a new machine definition is Cura 5.7.0.

• Like 1

Thank @ahoeben for correcting me. That might sound sarcastic and there's no way to say it isn't that doesn't also sound sarcastic, but I like to learn these things and I like helping people so if I'm wrong I'd much rather someone correct me than someone gets the wrong information.

• Like 1