Ultimaker 3 vs Ultimaker 2+

Dantan

Posted · Ultimaker 3 vs Ultimaker 2+

I have a used Ult3  that I have gotten to work pretty well now  (with help from people on here!!  Thank you !!

I am really liking it,  and it is printing  the  ABS  parts that I need really well!!!

I am considering getting an additional printer,  just for making  (the same)   ABS parts,  so I would not need the second extruder.

I am cheap  (frugal?  poor?    all of the above?) ,  and I am seeing Ult2+ selling  fairly affordable on ebay,  and wanted to ask if people think I would happy with it?

Is its print quality comparable to the Ult3,  but just with a single extruder? 

Is the active bed leveling as good?

I am not sure how different the Ult3  is from the Ult2+  ?

Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you!

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 vs Ultimaker 2+

Some will say that the print quality of the UM2+ is even a small step above the UM3. The UM2+ gantry is lighter than the UM3 gantry, which means the printer can accelerate faster without ringing and other "mass-induced" artifacts. They are very good printers, and on top of that they are still quite hackable and fully open source.

However, the UM2+ does lack some "quality of life" features that the UM3 has, such as much easier hotend swapping, dual extrusion (as you already mentioned), auto leveling, printing via the network/cloud.

Note that there's a difference between the Ultimaker 2+ and the Ultimaker 2+ Connect, which is a much more recent printer.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker 3 vs Ultimaker 2+

I have all the Ultimakers, or at least had...

The UM2 was my best machine, after that they got expensive, to the point where we are now. ...

I would not spend more than 500€, othersise the Bambu range is a much better and supreme solution!