5.6 blows up when entering Material Manager

LePaul

Posted (edited) · 5.6 blows up when entering Material Manager
On 1/3/2024 at 2:29 PM, LePaul said:

Why the profanity?

Sorry, I didn't realise just how differently that word was taken in other parts of the world. Here in Australia it's not really considered rude at all, but I didn't know things varied that much around the world.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

Posted · 5.6 blows up when entering Material Manager

We can't say much without logs. Cura.log can be found via Help -> Show configuration folder.

• Like 3

I had this as well, but not only with Cura 5.6. Version 5.5 had the same Problem. You need to check your material files. For me it was a custom material definition for two filaments. It was working for all 4.x and 5.0 versions but then with newer version Cura crash when ever I try to open the material manager.

Two weeks ago I thought I need to find the problem and deleted all custom materials and import them back again. I did it one by one and then identify two material definitions that had force a crash of the material manager. After deleting the GUID in the material files and correcting metadata I was able to import them again. If I remember correct there was something like a linked material definition inside those files. I can't remember that I ever did this, but who knows - I defined those two material definitions maybe 3 years ago....

@ahoeben, this is how it was shown on my installation for Cura 5.5 in case it maybe helps for other users with similar problems:

Materialmanagercrashreport.thumb.PNG.5115f3e01cbf17331ea099567f4b4704.PNG

This report was send several times with each >=5.1 version, but I guess it was never reviewed.

cura-material manager crash.zip

I am a community contributor. I - and many others who can help you here - have no access to crash reports.

In your log file, I see that you have installed the Material Settings plugin, of which I am the author. Since that plugin extensively patches the Materials page, it is a likely culprit for issues like this. Can you try disabling that plugin, restarting Cura, and see if that fixes the Materials preference page?

Edited by ahoeben

Github won't accept a TXT or ZIP file attachment

Attaching herecura.log

6 hours ago, LePaul said:

Github won't accept a TXT or ZIP file attachment

I find that unlikely. You just have to attach them in the github webinterface, not as attachments in email replies.

In your log file, I see that you have installed the Material Settings plugin, of which I am the author. Since that plugin extensively patches the Materials page, it is a likely culprit for issues like this. Can you try disabling that plugin, restarting Cura, and see if that fixes the Materials preference page?

@ahoeben, everything ok from my side. My comment was not meant as critic to you. I well know that you only try to help fixing problems that are mostly not yours.

Regarding the Material Settings plugin (v3.6.2), I just tested it and feel bad that I didn't thought on that and test this. You are on the right track, after removing the plugin the material manager do not crash. After reinstalling the plugin the material manager crash again.

Just now, DivingDuck said:

After reinstalling the plugin the material manager crash again.

Ok, then I have work to do...

• Like 2

I can make a copy of my 5.5 configuration folder for testing if needed.

8 hours ago, DivingDuck said:

I can make a copy of my 5.5 configuration folder for testing if needed.

Yes please. I just checked and I cannot replicate the issue with version 3.6.2 of my plugin with version 5.6 of Cura, so it must be related to specific configurations.

@ahoeben

Here it is. Let me know when you finish the download. I then like to delete that big zip file.

Edit: File removed

Edited by DivingDuck
    remove attachment

9 hours ago, ahoeben said:

I find that unlikely. You just have to attach them in the github webinterface, not as attachments in email replies.

If Windows sees the file as a Text file, it will not allow it.  I had viewed the log in Notepad++ so that's how Windows sees it.  

I went to another system and it would allow the log file to copy since it had not been viewed and a preferred application had not been attached to it.

FYI

17 hours ago, LePaul said:

If Windows sees the file as a Text file, it will not allow it.  I had viewed the log in Notepad++ so that's how Windows sees it.  

I went to another system and it would allow the log file to copy since it had not been viewed and a preferred application had not been attached to it.

It's not at all like that, especially since Windows won't see a zip file as text. You can just click + drag files into the entry box in GitHub or there's a button to attach files, which I've never needed because I've been able to click + drag .zip, .txt, .log, .3mf, .stl, .png files and probably others into that text box.

If just drag it somewhere onto the browser but not the upload box on the web page, then depending on the browser, it may open it as a text file.

If you're having trouble dragging, just click the attach button and it'll bring up a file picker dialog.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    being less of a cow

Here's what happens on that particular laptop...

github_cura.zip

I would rather focus on getting Cura (or my plugin) to work than on what Github does or doesn't do. Have you had time to check if the Materials page of the preferences works with the Material Settings plugin disabled?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DivingDuck said:

Let me know when you finish the download.

Got it. I'll try to look into it today.

3 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Got it. I'll try to look into it today

Take all the time you need. For Cura 5.6 I had build up everything from scratch and after importing my own material definitions files again the problem was solved so fare. There was much to much left over artifact files in my config folders as you may recognize.  🙂

Removed the plugin, no crashes

• Like 2

Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

Hi @ahoeben,

was you able to find out what the reason of that error was?

Best regards, DD

• Like 1

I'm still taking all the time I need.

Thanks for the reminder though.

• Like 1