Custom materials not transfering to printers

adrianmudd

Posted · Custom materials not transfering to printers

I'm having to use various non-Ultimaker matt PLA filaments, and most need higher than standard PLA temperature (as well as a core clean every day!). Almost none of them  have downloadable  material definitions on market place.

Anyway, I've read all the instructions and tried sending my custom materials via cloud and via USB , but they keep failing to appear on U5s - I just get 'no new materials imported' via USB, and no indications at all over sending via cloud.

Of course no instructions anywhere on adding materials to pre-'s' U3.

I end up just using network connected printers so that from my desk I can actually see the process of prints - not just the cloud print 10 second snapshots!

I've really not got time or inclination to start delving into code bodging, and when I send over network to printers the error message does not, of course, let me specify USE WHAT CURA SENT YOU STUPID MACHINE, I CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT THE MATERIAL YOU HAVE LOADED IS, BECAUSE IT'S NOT ON YOUR LIST TO SELECT!

It just makes me click on an ambiguous instruction which completely fails to say whether it's defaulting to what the printer thinks its got loaded or to the actual settings coming from  Cura,

*/me whistles for @gr5*

Sorry I probably can't help myself (never had an Ultimaker printer) but about the only troubleshooting question I can figure to ask: are you just changing the print settings (like temperature) in the quality profile, or are you making custom material definition files?

I have never messed with material profiles, but can't you just select "generic pla"?  That's what I typically do.  Or I'll even select "ultimaker pla" even if it isn't and either tell the printer that it's an ultimaker pla that was loaded or I'll hit the ignore button when it says the 2 materials don't quite match exactly.

Anyway, Slashee, I'm 90% sure he's creating material profiles somehow.

The UM3 has pretty much the same firmware as the S3/S5 so I would think they all import material profiles from the gcode file on the USB.  I'm sorry I know very little about this.  I have an S5 but don't create material profiles.