Spongy print results since V 5.x

wiwa53
Go to solution Solved by Cuq,

Posted · Spongy print results since V 5.x

Have Anycubic i3 Mega and slice with Cura included with printer. Update Cura to 3.2 and use it until 4.13.1 with full satisfaction.

Then use v. 5.1.0 and the print results went spongy, soft and pliable. Check the Cura printer-properties and resulting .gcode but cant find  any hint.

Update to 5.3.1 and 5.4.0 doesnt help anything. Next time Ill try 5.6.0 but I fear it might be the same behavoir.

Somebody has an idea for a solution?

Posted (edited) · Spongy print results since V 5.x

If you're not satisfied with version 5.4, it's highly likely that versions 5.5 and 5.6 and those to come will give the same result.

Somebody has an idea for a solution? Yes first of all share an image of your part.  a successfull 3MF 4.X project and the same project in 5.X   and then someone could start to analyse your issue.

Edited by Cuq
    • Like 1

OK, tomorrow I print the test in both versions and send the files also a photo of the results. See you...

Don't forget to include the .3mf files for the project in each version (get it ready to print, then go to File > Save Project) so we can see if there's any major changes in the settings between the two that could explain it.

Ok its ready. Have packed all the things in attached 7zip file. Let me explain:

Original file tbh.stl and tbh.obj (Test Box Half 🙂 ) and toolfile from Plasticity program.

Leading of filename Cura Version: C56_ = Cura 5.6 (quickly installed yesterday, as you said its the same behavoir like older 5.x versions)

and

C4131_ = Cura 4.13.1 prints fine.

Both file formats .3mf and .gcode attached.

Attach a .mp4 video you can see the print results clearly also a .jpg photo.

Cura 5.6 calculates 19 min. 3g and 0.41m, while Cura 4.13.1 calculates 17 min. 3g and 1.07m.

For my understanding the difference of PLA Filament length may be an indication why the version 5.x prints so soft and spongy. Right? But from which parameter will that come from?

Thanks in advance.

Testfiles.zip

Edited by wiwa53

• Solution

What a nice report .... And good news your issue is very easy to solved In the 5.6 release the Diameter of the wire is define at 2.85 mm  and not 1.75  so as result you end up with half as much flow as you need, hence the look of the part.

image.png.8a221784fec4946c43b40a1c82092ac3.png

• Like 1

GREAT thanks!

I've overlocked this while checking so many parameters. Test it immediately and respond soon 🙂

Sorry, cant find this:

image.png.2cb49322884ff12073efbc11149554ad.png

Where can I find this menu or program?

30 min. later, plugin found 🙂

PLA length calculation now changes from 0.41m to 1.10m - looks good, lets test it...

Edited by wiwa53

Sorry again, after installing the plugin, find and change the value and try a new testprint the printer plate and nozzle doesnt warm up. Normally the printer resets to its 0,0 point warm up the plate to 60° and the nozzle to 200° and starts the print in the center of the plate. But now it starts printing from where it was stopped without any wormup. Whats wrong now. May you have another look into the files  attached, please.

AI3M_tbh.3mf AI3M_tbh.gcode

your Gcode is not the same as the Gcode produced by the cura project ...  

This is your machine configuration and we have the correct parameter definition. 

image.thumb.png.75266f200b78f56d7d4c2509d1ead304.png

Your sample Gcode ... Without any header command

image.png.9f2270635fa70da45ad4c8e5bc1f2c17.png

and the code generate with your sample project 

image.thumb.png.f301f9dfab42a416118127aa46a52eac.png

but I have absolutly no idea why your GCode is not correct ... Should be.

Thanks for your hints , I'll take a deeper look.

Thanks for all :-)

My mistake:

The Elegoo Neptune Thumbnail Plugin was installed and activated. It eats some of the first code lines.

I was'nt aware that it is for a special printer setup, find the description nice and install together with the Printer Settings Plugin.

learning through pain

Positioning and heating now ok... waiting for the print result...

Edited by wiwa53

Sorry, marked the wrong  post for solution - was yours not mine solution. ANy idea to change that?

Thank you again for your excellent help, the print is fine now, closed and stable, no more spongy.

Mods can changed the marked solution for a post. I'll just mention @gr5 and hope he notices 🙂

Unmarked.  Try again.  Personally it seems like the person who marked the solution should be able to undo their own work.

Under "Extensions" and "Post Processing" and "Modify Gcode" then "Add a Script".  One of the post-processors is "Create Thumbnail" and it should work with all printers.

gr5 Thanks.

Didnt see unmarked.

Changed it, now it fits.

GregValiant:

I know, have this, but preview is very small and the File-Icon is blurred. Searching for a better GCode-preview.

Edited by wiwa53