X axis not working

ulivk
Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted · X axis not working

The X axis of my Ultimaker 2+ has stopped working and it makes strange noises and vibrations. If I switch X and Y (or Z) stepper motor on the main board, then the same problem shows on the other axis. This means that the stepper motor is working. I assume that there is a problem in the stepper driver on the main board. Does anybody know if this can be repaired, or do I need to buy a new main board? Do you have any experiences with the Chinese clones from Aliexpress? The original is pretty expensive...

Maybe important: the printer has a Mark2 upgrade for dual extrusion, which was working properly for several years. After the problem happened I have flashed it with the original firmware and made factory reset, but the problem is still there.

Link to the video:

• Solution

I was going to say it could be one of the 4 wires to the stepper but you said you switched to the other drivers and it moved so yeah it's definitely the stepper driver chip.

Some people are really good with surface mount soldering and have the right equipment (speical hot pad, hot air blower, I don't know what else).  I have been soldering electronics off and on for decades and consider myself extremely good at it but I can't do SMDs.  Well I can do two pin smds only.  Some people in this forum have replaced a driver chip.

The older UM2s and UM2+ printers have a spare stepper driver for the second extruder.  There is an extra connector for that second extruder.  You can flip the controller over and see if the chip is mounted.  The driver chips are lined up near the servo connectors and are large and square.

Unfortunately Ultimaker stopped including these chips on the UM2 controller boards at some point.  If you order a new UM2/UM2+ (same board) controller board from Ultimaker it will not include that extra extruder driver.

Now if you are doing the mark2, you are probably already using that second extruder (E2?) which is unfortunate.

If you don't care about the dual extrusion much then you could change the firmware such that the X axis uses the second extruder.  It's just a few lines of code change in the file "pins.h" which says which pins control which servos etc.  You could swap the ones between X and E2.  I can point you to very detailed instructions on building the firmware.  I'd do the Tinkergnome firmware.

If you really want your dual extrusion to still work then your only option is to buy a chinese version.  There are 2 flavors - one flavor has the exact same stepper drivers.  The other has socketed drivers so you can (sometimes must if it doesn't include the drivers) choose your own drivers.  Which is a nice option if you are into really customizing things and modifying firmware.  The drivers would be "pololu" style drivers which you can google about if the board you order clearly has missing (but socketed) drivers.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, since I am using MArk2, I already use the 5th driver for the second extruder. It was my Corona-time project and took me a lot of time. It is done nicely, but to be honest, I newer really use it. Still, it wouldn't be nice to throw it away...

Do you think that this is the correct main board for me:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005756158702.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.43.7578p6Tdp6TdYa&algo_pvid=03e0d934-c64a-479b-9122-53e9f2fd81ed&algo_exp_id=03e0d934-c64a-479b-9122-53e9f2fd81ed-21&pdp_npi=4%40dis!EUR!105.04!105.04!!!112.64!112.64!%402101fb0c17049866118672288e8f66!12000034242419492!sea!SI!0!AB&curPageLogUid=noe5H9f8L5RZ&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch|query_from%3A

Can you also point me to the detailed instructions how to use the E2 for the Z axis. It may be the easiest way to solve the issue.

Yeah that link looks good.  I have to warn you, some of these arrive without working.  I'd guess 90% work perfectly but 10% failure is pretty stunningly bad.  That's where the US auto industry was in the 1970s.  The 90% number is of course pulled right out of my butt.

These are good instructions here for building your own UM2 Marlin (link below).  You don't have to bother with about half the steps because that is for simulation testing.  Which you don't need to do.  Unfortunately I'm not sure which steps those are.

Once you have downloaded the source code as explained, look at pins.h or maybe it's capitalized "Pins.h".  Not sure but it matters if you don't use a windows machine.  Anyway, try to find the Ultimaker board in there and then swapping the pin numbers is pretty trivial.  There's the direction pin, the step pin, and an enable pin.  I think that's it.  3 pins (3 digital signals) that the "arduino" uses to control the chip.  Oh - there's more - there's some pins to control the max current used by the driver.  So probably a few more pins.

Many other people have done this if you google with "site:ultimaker.com" to get results only from this forum and include "pins.h" and "driver" and such.  Some of them listed the exact pins they changed (and some of them messed up the first attempt).

Hi again. I was able to modify the firmware. The axis are doing great. But there is another issue. The feeder is turning in the wrong direction. It seems like the firmware is for Ultimaker 2, and I have 2+. How can I solve that?

Hi. I have found it. Thinkergnome Firmware can change the direction from the Printer menu: Advanced/Preferences/MotionSettings/Invert Axis/E

That was quick.  Yes you can do it right in Tinkergnome Marlin.  What a fantastic update to ultimaker marlin.

You may have to change "steps/mm" as well.  Almost certainly it will over or underextrude.  Possibly by exactly 2X.  Perhaps by some other ratio.

When you download the tinkergnome firmware there is a way to specify um2+ versus um2 versus um2go versus umext etc.  Tinkergnome has a makefile somewhere.  Or config file.  Or something.  I forget.  You can edit that to build all the versions or you can make it build only the version you need.  I don't remember much about that.

@tinkergnome - remind us how to choose to build firmware for um2+ versus um2 regular?

On 1/12/2024 at 4:02 AM, gr5 said:

@tinkergnome - remind us how to choose to build firmware for um2+ versus um2 regular?

It's a matter of choosing/setting the appropriate precompiler directives. There's a script that i used to build all variants in one go: ..../Marlin/package.sh

Of course the directives can be edited in Configuration.h and Configuration_adv.h as well, if one does not want to use the build script. The appropriate command from "package.sh" can be used as a reference in this case (there are comments in the script).

Looking at the differences between UM2 and UM2+ it should be sufficient to add one line at the beginning of "Configuration.h":

#define UM2PLUS

• Heart 1