Are the CC and DD print cores compatible with the Ultimaker S3?

Go to solution Solved by Dustin,

Posted · Are the CC and DD print cores compatible with the Ultimaker S3?

I regularly use the AA and BB print cores in my Ultimaker S3 printer.

Are CC and DD print cores compatible with the S3?

Also, would I be able to print with metal on my S3 after purchasing the metal expansion pack?

On 1/20/2024 at 7:50 AM, gr5 said:

Yes, CC and DD work on the S3 (but not on the much older UM3).  Regarding metal expansion pack, all I know is what this says:

https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/1667337928794

Does the DD print core compliment the CC print core similarly to how the BB compliments the AA? I read the DD print core is for support and CC is for composite material.

If the CC and DD are indeed meant to be used together, but DD is not available in the US, what could one use to replace the function of the DD print core when using the CC print core in an Ultimaker?

• Solution

I would point this discussion to official statements by BASF
    https://forward-am.com/material-portfolio/ultrafuse-filaments-for-fused-filaments-fabrication-fff/metal-filaments/ultrafuse-support-layer/
    Note the Q&A section at the bottom of the page.

Short answer, the ceramic support material is not sold in North America due to IP issues they are working on.
    DD core's only purpose is for printing the ceramic material, I wouldn't advise doing this with the CC core.
    As the Ceramic isn't technically sold in North America, no reason for the DD core to be.

But yes the CC+DD cores go together like AA+BB when printing Metal material.

As for using the DD cores on the S3 - I believe they should work.
    But it's very much not recommended to print with Metal on the S3 due to a lack of an air manger - you REALLY want one.
    The material off-gas isn't good for you - per BASF's own TDS 
    https://move.forward-am.com/hubfs/AES Documentation/Metal Filaments/17-4 PH/TDS/Ultrafuse_17-4PH_TDS_EN_v1.1.pdf

Product safety Recommended:
    Process materials in a well ventilated room, or use professional extraction systems. For further and more detailed information please consult the corresponding material safety data sheets.

• Like 1