Ok, what's wrong with my print (how to fix?)

thereza

Posted · Ok, what's wrong with my print (how to fix?)

Hi,

So I've made some progress with netfabb 4.9, but I'm still not getting the quality prints that I've seen made by others. This is my calibration circle

5a330c9619777_JonathanBrand3DPrintedMotorcycle3.thumb.png.5ac331f498301237e1ab80df01ae439e.png

and the side view

5a330c964b110_JonathanBrand3DPrintedMotorcycle3.thumb.png.f203831036b79e186a0bd95d7d0441f4.png

The inside is full of strings and knots, and the side has a few pimples on it.

I've not done any calibration on netfabb - I emailed the ultimaker people and they said not to bother calibrating anything. I'm not sure what the next step(s) should be - does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Reza

Looks fine to me. I don't know if netfabb routes the travel moves around holes but i would guess not so that's why you get stringing inside. Try printing something bigger and more complex, and try slicing with cura/skeinpypy as well (that program routes around holes).

The latest version of Netfabb does comb as well. "Comb" is the name Skeinforge (the slicer that cura uses currently) has for the "avoid running the head through holes" feature.

What's happening here is a bug I think. By default Netfabb 4.9 has a feature enabled that causes the z-moves (when the bed drops down) to happen in random spots on the model. This is done to avoid having a seam on the model. But, I think the comb feature bugs out when it does this which makes it move through the middle of the object. This is also what is causing those tiny bumps.

This can be disabled but I'm not currently at my slice-computer so I can't tell you exactly where. I'll get you the details once I get home from work unless someone beats me to it.

I've got something similar...

I'm working on understanding the netfabb buildstyle parameters and material parameters. I think that the 'comb' in netfabb doesn't work good yet. I have prints with string in the middle of objects, (hole or not). I think I will work on the retract of the filament during the zmoves and jumps. I saw that during z moves and jumps the extruder gear stops but maybe we need to create a little under-pressure in the nozzle just to stop PLA from exiting the nozzle.

anyway your calibration circle is quit good and you can remove the inside strings after printed.

I read something about NOT TO USE the calibration of netfabb however and I printed everything since my first without messing with the calibration routine.

5a330c967d950_JonathanBrand3DPrintedMotorcycle5.thumb.jpg.29fa61532fe9c8b7b2caf3e706c67126.jpg

to avoid the jumping and stringing there is the choice of the seam type in the build style editor: seam near origin or randomized seam.

With the randomized seam it jumps all over, seam near origin runs in circles, but leaves a little scar of the z-jump.

Try the standard style first, that works fine and detailed, the other settings didn't work for me too.

Make sure you have M92 E14 in the start code.

and in the raft tab, choose outline, that helps the flow of the PLA at the start.

5a330c96a235a_JonathanBrand3DPrintedMotorcycle6.thumb.jpg.685bab3691f3dd018692ffbf79a5281f.jpgpicture of the standard-hollow

Awesome !

Printed nothing good like that until now... :cry:

is this STANDARD 0.150 mm x layer or not? and what about the temp of the PLA (is that the ultimaker silver PLA?)

the only thing I changed in the build style was the seam near origin.

PLA is from Faberdashery (UK) temp. 195C.

@peggyb amazing! so you're printing that out with netfabb with all the default settings? I'm quite envious. Can you describe your entire setup (firmware, etc)? If you are using netfabb, is there any way to export all your settings and upload?

I've since tried printing out some parts with Cura/RunPrint and it's working significantly better than netfabb. Shockingly so. However, I still have lot strings, and the edges look funky..

5a330c984f520_JonathanBrand3DPrintedMotorcycle1.thumb.jpg.a523ec9d10f31fc882ec97aba2445cca.jpg

5a330c98751f6_JonathanBrand3DPrintedMotorcycle2.thumb.jpg.310aa0c0001bcbaf830cf28e8a52be20.jpg

and the bottom of the head.

5a330c988d61b_JonathanBrand3DPrintedMotorcycle3.thumb.png.7486b646cfad80c35bd781e76f1b1be3.png

It seems as if a lot of the strings can be fixed if pullback was working. Is there any way to enable it - or has anyone gotten it to work? Otherwise, any suggestions on what I can do to fix?

@Thereza, Have you put M92 E14 in your header?

Machine Tab-> "..."->Ultimaker Specific Tab

@peggyb - WOW! I can't even see the layers, did you post process that part?

Kyle

Yes, that is in the header. Not sure why netfabb didn't add that by default if it's important.

Reza

After some struggling with the original software, I upgraded to the Erik Zalm Marlin, that uses 250 000 baud, so I changed that in Netfabb. I use Pronterface to print the gcode created in Netfabb.

The rest of the settings are in the picture: standard material, standard buildstyle.

In this case no post processing was needed, no strings/jumps.