help me fill a model

Bumb3bum

Posted · help me fill a model

so i need someone who is skilled enough to basically fill in the guts of a model. after a good amount of trial and error i found out a model i am making needs to be filled in to be sliced and printed right, as the model i got is very high definition and is very accurate so as a result if someone is able to scoop all the guts out of a model and give it back it would be greatly apricated, if it is easy enough.  

very accurate luger needs guts filled in.obj

I'd print two halves.

image.thumb.png.f0b9e5b5a8bf288d96bef74a0d1e74e9.png

Your problem is that it is too nice of a model for FDM.  It looks like it was designed right from the CAD drawings.  I used Mesh Tools "Split model into parts".

image.thumb.png.444fd37cef8c09270c7b131d1c706fb3.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I'd print two halves.

Much as that seems to be @GregValiant's solution for everything, I agree for once. If you're just printing regular PLA then use cyanoacrylate (also known as your regular household superglue) to put it together. Sets hella fast and hella strong, so make sure you're lining your halves up as precisely as possible while you're doing it.

And please nobody inform the Australian government I downloaded that model to have a look at it. It's illegal to own something which even looks like a real gun here.

Thanks to both of you for looking at this,  good to see you slashee and Greg, now I have a confession... I was trying to get help from the people here that isn't ultimate related. I know, I'm a criminal, but from my experience, this is the best place for anything 3d printed/model related. 

If you guys haven't left yet and are willing to help, great. Now the reason I was making this is pretty goofy, are you aware of those lighters with a long like part so you don't burn yourself? Me and my brother thought it looked like a luger pistol, ngl I am British so I do kinda of share your fear slashee but it's a bit more lenient if you keep it in your house of course. 

Finally the problem. I measured the case for the lighter and made it in blender (I hope you know blender), I got a model of the luger off the internet, and realised the detail in it, now when I apply a Boolean modifier to the luger and part of the gun disappeared but not the part I needed, I assumed that was because of the detail of it so it wasn't all one solid model. If you want to know how this looks kinda, here is the Reddit post I made (already not as helpful as here) https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/s/dzUs0n7uI0

You'll kinda see what I mean hopefully.

If you are up for it, respond and I'll give you the file with the 2 parts.

The pieces aren't really connected.  The clip is designed to slide in and out so it has clearances on the sides.  All the parts can be merged in MS 3D Builder but the gaps between the pieces remain.  By definition it becomes a single piece but a tool like "Remove all Holes" won't work because the gaps are still there.  The trigger guard is an issue as well.

This has been merged, but it still won't get you what you want because the gaps remain.

image.thumb.png.3cfebc7ac4c35890301acd330174eaa9.png

How the hell did you cut that up? Give me a link to a tutorial or something. My dim mind can’t figure that out and I’ve been trying to do this for a week (on my own models). 

9 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

use cyanoacrylate

FYI, this stuff will discolor in water. Even after 24hr cure. So chem test it before you use it on something important. 

If you haven't done it yet, go to the MarketPlace and load AHoeben's (FieldOfView) "Mesh Tools".  You will need to restart Cura.  After restart there will be additional menu options is "Extensions" and in the right click menu.

Select the model in Cura.  Right click and select "Mesh Tools".  Go down and select "Split model into parts".

I was surprised it worked.  Most STL files only consist of a single model whereas 3mf files can have multiple models in them.

After it has been split you will see in the "Object List" in the lower left of the screen that there are 24 pieces to the Luger.  All very nicely modeled making it near impossible to print .  You can make a nice Luger, but making a print that looks like a Luger on the outside but with a hollow interior for your lighter stuff ain't gonna be easy.

1a.thumb.png.42d82b7e67024842bf3b9c4f55d38dfa.png

Ah! So if you click “split” and it gives you the middle finger, then it’s not happening because the model is a single STL that I imported not a stack of STLs. 

is that right?

4 hours ago, jaysenodell said:

Ah! So if you click “split” and it gives you the middle finger, then it’s not happening because the model is a single STL that I imported not a stack of STLs. 

is that right?

Yep! A (valid) STL file can only consist of a single body. And if you import a stack of STLs, they're already separate parts 🙂. It's not just possible but pretty easy (if you're trying) to make an invalid STL but then Mesh Tools will be giving you the finger about fixing it, and if it can, then it's down to only one body.

Hey, maker of the Mesh Tools plugin here. AFAIK, Mesh Tools does not "give you the finger". It may give you a message with a reason why the model cannot be split into parts.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ahoeben said:

Hey, maker of the Mesh Tools plugin here. AFAIK, Mesh Tools does not "give you the finger". It may give you a message with a reason why the model cannot be split into parts.

It's just a euphemism. Please don't take it personally, the plugin is awesome, we're just trying to inject a bit of humour into an annoying situation.

Posted (edited) · help me fill a model

I was not taking it personally, I was saying that the plugin will actually tell you why a model cannot be split apart, eg because the model needs to be repaired first. The repair function in Mesh Tools is fairly limited in functionality. Better use an external tool such as 3d Builder, which comes with Windows.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

I was going to put in a pull request for the "...give you the finger" thing.

I decided to give up on it when I realized that by the time the finger finished printing, any chance of spontaneity would be long gone.

• Laugh 1

15 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

I was going to put in a pull request for the "...give you the finger" thing.

I decided to give up on it when I realized that by the time the finger finished printing, any chance of spontaneity would be long gone.

It worries me that if you're only worried about printing time, that means you have a model ready to print. Maybe I have a chance with the 18mm lens for my camera to pull off forced perspective to make my small, quick print seem like a bigger print.

Im sorry I haven't responded, and I can't lie, I forgot to say that I found another model that was the same basically but solid so I just used that, but thanks for all the help regardless, I can show the final thing when I've finished making it if you want 

12 minutes ago, Bumb3bum said:

I can show the final thing when I've finished making it if you want 

Please do. I love to see the sort of stuff other people print

@ahoeben, the "give you the finger" in my message was, as @Slashee_the_Cow suggested, my horrible attempt at humor. I've been tring to print a cross section of a model I built and, for the life of me, can not get it to split in any tool i try. FreeCAD won't export the cross section view. So when I saw "split model" in your mesh tools I was all excited until...

Screenshot2024-02-12at10_35_39AM.thumb.png.9ec0d89f95be92093d528c82f4129804.png

Now that I understand WHY it was refusing to cooperate I am going to just go back and pout. 

Posted (edited) · help me fill a model
    9 hours ago, jaysenodell said:

I've been tring to print a cross section of a model I built and, for the life of me, can not get it to split in any tool i try.

There's a Cura plugin called "Banana Split" which will split something along the build plate (i.e. what's on top of the build plate and what's on the bottom become separate meshes). Bear in mind if you're using an STL a lot of programs will only export the outside of the model, because that's all that's required for a single watertight volume, so might not have the interior detail.

If you're running Windows, Microsoft's 3D Builder app (which is actually pretty great) can also split objects:

image.thumb.png.de9f1dcd0c230a64491237d584cb74da.png

If you save it as a 3mf (and it'll try to do that by default) that will contain both models (and probably their positions, but you can fix that easily enough).

+20 Slashee points for whoever can correctly tell what I used that model (whole, obviously) for.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

The "split model into parts" functionality is for when you have an STL that has multiple separate bodies in it. They cannot be "ungrouped" because Cura imported them as a single "joined" body.

2 hours ago, ahoeben said:

The "split model into parts" functionality is for when you have an STL that has multiple separate bodies in it. They cannot be "ungrouped" because Cura imported them as a single "joined" body.

My misunderstanding. That said, I do like mesh tools for telling me when I've completely made a mess of my STL. I fought with a print for a bit until I realized StC was using something "not built in". Then I was able ID the problem, to go back to FreeCAD and fix it. Well done. 

6 hours ago, jaysenodell said:

I fought with a print for a bit until I realized StC was using something "not built in"

As my communication skills, I believe the common term is "suck", if I can make myself any more clear in the future please let me know how.