model incorrectly sliced?

Posted · model incorrectly sliced?

Any Idea why the model 3/4 up has choppy & missing sections?

also trying to find information on the "starts" linetype, as that seems to be where the issue is.

Thanks,

Ryan

Screenshot 2024-03-04 150904.png

If you could provide a copy of the Cura project file (.3mf, in Cura get it ready to print then go to File > Save Project) that would really help in diagnosing the problem.

If I had to guess based purely based on the screenshot I would guess that that model is getting too thin at those points to be able to be accurately sliced, but without the project file (or at the very least, the model's STL file) it is practically impossible to diagnose or suggest specific settings which may help alleviate the issue.

The model slices fine for me, so it would really help if you could provide your Cura project file so we can see your settings to see what can be fixed.

image.thumb.png.4cebb495c443e47014094db7023d056b.png

Your walls come to points, which is what I was saying about getting too narrow (since it can't print infinitesimally thin) and the slicer doesn't always choose the most sensible option.

A few other notes on your model:

• The STL is invalidly defined (Cura should give be giving you a warning when you load it, and I'd really appreciate it if @ahoeben could message me a lesson in figuring out where the exact problems are), I think the problem is where the pointed bottom splits to become separate walls, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm pretty sure it's not what's causing your problem.
    • You are going to want to print this thing slow. With acceleration and jerk turned way down. Most of it is freestanding (near) vertical walls and the vibrations from movement could cause them to sway or fall.
    • This is going to be pretty weak - the walls are less than 1mm thin and the parts will snap apart easily (which is fine if that's the idea, but not so much otherwise) as they only overlap for about 1mm at the top.

This doesn't look right.  If you are going to put this into an accordion it won't pump air.

Slashee - I couldn't get it to set flat on the build plate either.

image.thumb.png.60102f83643e6108ee4bb25dd88de543.png

image.thumb.png.15f2dbbd113bfd253cd1a72f8da6f503.png

Wow, my default profile must be incredibly forgiving. Although I really would like to know why this happens if you set the slicing tolerance to inclusive, which should only add volume to the model:

image.thumb.png.cf62769e49058609f29e165f49388cdb.png

@Rpmaguireplease don't tell me you made this in SketchUp, unless telling me that would mean lying to me. SketchUp is basically a running joke of terrible STL exports.

Posted (edited) · model incorrectly sliced?

It is going to be printed in TPU.

It actually printed really good, just a bit of sloppiness in those problem areas

the model in blender looks good as far as topology and no duplicate edges or vertices.

I will try to flatten the points out at the ends and see if the slicer likes that better.

image.thumb.png.4476403593df4092e24ec886732be383.png

Edited by Rpmaguire

Posted (edited) · model incorrectly sliced?

made in blender.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Rpmaguire

4 minutes ago, Rpmaguire said:

made in blender.

Could be worse then (CAD software is usually the best for STL output, but it's a bit much to ask someone to learn a completely different way of modelling). If you're running Windows, Microsoft's "3D Builder" app is actually really great at fixing errors with model files. Just open it up, click the tick on the top left to select the model's scale, and there should be a popup in the bottom right offering to fix it for you.

If you're printing TPU, just be aware that TPU will come apart at seams (especially layer seams) fairly easily, you gotta print slow for best results (I do mine at about 20mm/s), and make sure your filament is dry before you start printing (TPU is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, if the filament is too "wet" it'll affect the print quality).

That looks a lot better!

I don't see any through holes from the slicer.

You were correct about the sharp point on the edges, I flattened them out slightly...seems to have fixed the problem.

thanks

🤝

Screenshot 2024-03-04 205705.png