Part of this build is confusing to me

Go to solution Solved by Dreddpool82,

Posted (edited) · Part of this build is confusing to me

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5755758

In there you'll see
mounting parts for a Ryobi Cordless grinder, now the large piece that supports the grinder head
shows it standing on one of the wall screw mounts, I tried printing it this way and it messed up as it didn't have enough support to keep it attached to the bed.
I even rotated it to look like the 3rd image on the right side list, but when it did the part with the word RYOBI it to messed up and looked ugly.

So is that build missing something or did i do something wrong?
Also when i imported it to Cura it wasn't on the bed on my screen it was completely off to one side and below the bed, i moved it to where the

program could then show me the layers, but it don't have any support structure.

IF anyone has made this and knows what I'm doing wrong, please let me know, or any other help from people more experienced at printing than

me would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Dreddpool82

I'd print it with "Ryobi" down.  The designer was nice enough to provide chamfers of 45° on those screw ears.  That was done so they wouldn't need support.

When letters are on the build plate like that they need good bed adhesion and good flow or they can look sloppy because they are on the first layer. You should print the "Initial Layer" slower as well.  Consider that the 90° grinder is going to hang in front of the word anyway.  You won't notice.

This is with supports disabled.  All the pieces are designed so they don't need supports.

image.thumb.png.246e390ca42db93ef9b9eb425173e7bf.png

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

Posted · Part of this build is confusing to me

Well my most recent try just failed, it keeps unsticking from the bed, I have the bed temp at 65 and the extruder at 200 which is the default, i also slowed it down to 80%.
    should i slow it down to 70% or 60%?

Take the build surface off.  Clean it well with dish detergent, put it back in place and wipe it down with 90% isopropyl alcohol.

"Bed Leveling" (which should be called "Setting the Initial Z gap") is a big part of getting the first layer to stick.  Unlike other layers that go down an exact distance above a previous layer, the thickness of the Initial Layer is totally dependent on the initial Z gap.  If it is too tall it creates under-extrusion and consequently, sticking problems.

I don't know where you are adjusting the percentage.  There really isn't any reason to do that.  In the "Speed" section is "Number of Slower Layers".  Set that to 1 or 2 and the "Initial Layer Print Speed" setting will be available.  The units are mm/sec.  Try at 25 with a clean build surface.

When I'm printing something with lettering on the build plate (or anything in PETG) I use AquaNet Super Hold hairspray as an adhesion promoter.  There are specialty items just for that (Magi-goo comes to mind).

@gr5 has a video he might share.  I call it "Everything you ever wanted to know about bed adhesion".  It is pretty all-inclusive.

FYI - I print PLA in the range of 200 (white) to 215 (silky) with the bed at 50.  If the bed is too hot (close to or above the "glass temperature" of the material) the first few layers will be deformed and elephant foot is a problem.  60 is the normal build plate temperature for PLA.

I've printed these carburetor covers a few times.  Two "Pause at Height's" allow me to change filament for a couple of layers and the lettering appears a different color.

image.thumb.png.e38e114036696b04d269e95944d028c3.png

Edited by GregValiant

This is where I'm getting the % from, it's part of the 3d printer setting when I start a print.
    I read elsewhere that if the bed temp is too long it can have problems sticking, so i increased it by 6c and my prints where going well till i started this one, which is more complex than my previous prints today.
    I leveled the bed before starting this morning and will buy some isopropyl alcohol tomorrow as it's 11pm here and i currently don't have any.
    yes i know the print is lifting, but as it's still attached and print like it's attached, i figure I'll let it go as it's got 75% left to go or about 3hrs. it's about 80% still attached.
    if it unsticks, I'll just have to retry tomorrow with a clean bed.
    20240326_224321.thumb.jpg.2453fbde38679612f9fce1828296d08c.jpg

Edited by Dreddpool82

Tuning the feedrate at the printer is fine but adjusting the speed with the Cura settings makes it automatic.  You won't have to babysit the print.

PLA isn't very prone to warping.  That print in your image has really lifted severely.  It is more of what I would expect PETG to do.  My best guess is that it simply isn't sticking to the bed (even with the brim).

When you get settled with the current print, load the model into Cura, set up the slice, and then use the "File | Save Project" command and post the 3mf file here.

I'm not using petg, I'm using PLA

1 hour ago, Dreddpool82 said:

I'm not using petg, I'm using PLA

That's his point - he's never seen PLA warp that badly, because PLA doesn't really warp at all (unless maybe you put it in conditions trying to make it warp). So the problem in your case, even though it looks like warping, is almost certainly that the edges of it haven't adhered to the bed properly.

I see in the picture you posted of your printer that you have the bed set to 66°. Most PLA filament I have says you can run the bed at 25-60° and I never go above 60 when I'm using PLA. PLA can actually print on an unheated bed (though you may need to use some additional help to get it to stick - that's why if you have a heated bed, heat it... just not that much).

Yes, warping can cause a part to lift off the print bed.  You need to learn how to make PLA stick like crazy to the bed.  It's not hard.  I made a video explaining exactly what's going on with the warping and the common ways to fix it.  It's a bit long but I tried to pack as much information into that video as possible.  With PLA this problem is pretty easy to fix.

• Solution

Thanks for the help everyone who replied, I've re-leveled the bed twice today, running a level test build now at 80% of print speed and it appears to be holding to the bed. No signs of lifting so far.

"No signs of lifting so far."

How did it go?