How do I print one at a Time on top of each other?

Posted · How do I print one at a Time on top of each other?

So i have this 3d Model of the Nurburgring and its Land site and i want the Cicuit highlighted in another Color. I only have one extruder (Anycubic Kobra 2 Pro) and need to do an Filament swap. Because the Land is on some points higher than the Circuit i cant just stop on one layer and swap Filament. I need to print the circuit separately on top of the Model. I tried printing both separately but i cant get the one layer wide circuit removed from the support its literally impossible. Now i have found out that there is a one at a Time option so i can print the Landscape and than the Circuit on top without the homing sequence moving my print. The problem now is that the safety area is blocking my sliceis there a way to turn off this safety area and risking that the print gets destroyed?

I hope you guys unterstand my Question.

I´m relatively new to 3d Printing

(and sorry for the "not so good" English)

https://www.printables.com/model/821005-nordschleife-nurburgring-3d-mini-large/files

image.png

Nordschleife no track.stl circuit.stl

I'll ask a silly question: What if you printed it as "separate solids" with the track as solid, uniform vertial stack then glue the land solids to it like a puzzle? Not as sexy, but would likely be easier...

44 minutes ago, jaysenodell said:

I'll ask a silly question: What if you printed it as "separate solids" with the track as solid, uniform vertial stack then glue the land solids to it like a puzzle? Not as sexy, but would likely be easier...

The Problem is when I print the track alone i can´t get it off the Support because the track is only one layer (0.4 mm) thick. It needs the Support because it is one multiple Layers and not just flat

I think you are thinking of it differently than I am. Make the STL union of the track and landscape. Now slice the landscape on the Z at edge of the track so you get the track with all the elevation changes. Now you have a track that is THICK just like the landscape.

Hope that makes sense. 

@jaysenodell I'm not sure that makes sense even to me when the landscape isn't flat.

@PapaSierra: Cura won't allow you to do this in one at a time. It's to prevent the nozzle from bumping the existing model. You could try slicing the landscape in one file and the track in another and then merging the gcode by sticking the track after the landscape. I wouldn't recommend it though for the same reason: you don't want to bump the nozzle on what you've already printed (bad for printer, bad for model).

What I would do is make the track thicker, like 2-3mm (but keep the top at the same height) and subtract that from the landscape (so you'll have a track-depth hole in the landscape). That way you can print the track thick enough that you can remove the supports. A single layer of track probably wouldn't end up hiding the colour of the landscape anyway. The only problem with this solution is that it's going to be a impossibly tight fit without correcting for that. For the track I would set Walls > Horizontal Expansion to about -0.5mm (the minus is important!). That should make the track slightly narrower, hopefully enough to fit in your track-hole.

@Slashee_the_Cow, I’m not explaining well. 

take the model with the track as shown. Looking from the Z at the XY separate the trace section from the “not track” sections. You now have the track “on the landscape” that you can print as a solid at full relief thickness. Then print the other “not track” sections separately. Glue it all together. 

I stumbled over something in freecad that seemed to do this. I’ll try to see if I can build an edge sample tomorrow. 

Posted (edited) · How do I print one at a Time on top of each other?
    13 hours ago, jaysenodell said:

@Slashee_the_Cow, I’m not explaining well. 

take the model with the track as shown. Looking from the Z at the XY separate the trace section from the “not track” sections. You now have the track “on the landscape” that you can print as a solid at full relief thickness. Then print the other “not track” sections separately. Glue it all together. 

I stumbled over something in freecad that seemed to do this. I’ll try to see if I can build an edge sample tomorrow. 

If I understand you correctly you mean that you have a model that is basically only the path that the track makes (and all the material required in your Z to get there, and a model that has specifically the path (+ everything in z required to get there) missing/cut, which you then place over eachother and glue together?

If so, then that's definitely a creative way to solve it. I do think it's going to be very tricky to make it look good. You'll have printer tolerances on both prints to deal with then, which probably matters a fair bit now since the path will be relatively narrow. I could see it being doable tho.

Edit: the way I interpret it is as if you took the completed model, and then cut out the path with a laser from above (just to get an idea of what the two models would look like). You then have the track + landscape which fit together.

Edited by PizzaTijd

Yep. That’s the idea. I’m not going to be able to try a sample project but it should be doable. 

the print tolerance should be pretty close assuming you are “laser cutting” from the one STL and building them from scratch. If you consider most printers are 0.1+/- so 0.2. Most folks won’t notice it unless you point it out to them. 

• Like 1

This one is pretty interesting.

Two things here...

1. I agree with Jasenodell that a puzzle is the best way to do this.
    2. I'm glad I'm not the one doing it.

Repair the models first (both have errors).  Right now they are less complicated than they will become.  Starting out with good models will be huge.

9 hours ago, PizzaTijd said:

Edit: the way I interpret it is as if you took the completed model, and then cut out the path with a laser from above (just to get an idea of what the two models would look like). You then have the track + landscape which fit together.

I was thinking of not going all the way down, just extrude the track shape downwards and move it so it starts at like Z 5mm or so then subtract that from the landscape so your landscape has a trench in it, not a hole.

To hard to fit with all the curves.  This won't be an easy task but I think it helps a lot to be able to push separate pieces together.  They could sanded and filed till the fit was right.

After thinking about this some more, I think I'd just print it all together and get out a fine modeling brush and some paint and just paint the road surface.  It's only 0.42 wide so it would be a single wall print and then you would have to stuff it into a slot.