Ultimaker 2+ unexpectedly stops halfway through printing and restarts

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ unexpectedly stops halfway through printing and restarts

Hello community,

I've encountered an issue while printing with my Ultimaker 2+. In the attached video, you can see the problem occurring during the printer's preparation phase. However, after turning it off and waiting for it to completely shut down, I restarted it and attempted to print again. Unfortunately, the same issue occurred halfway through the printing process, as shown in the video.

Any insights or advice on resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ unexpectedly stops halfway through printing and restarts

It could be the power brick or it could be the cpu.  I suspect it's the power brick as those die more often.

You can prove it's the bed by not using the heated bed.  You can use painters tape on the glass, clean the painters tape with Isopropyl alcohol to remove the waxy surface of the tape (otherwise parts won't stick).  Re-level as the tape has a thickness to compensate for.  Try to do a print.  If the computer doesn't reset then the problem was with the power supply.  Make sure the heated bed temp is set to zero when doing the test!

To me it really looks like the power supply.  They cost about $90 USD.  If you want a cheaper solution, note also that the printer is using the most power when it is heating up.  You can force the printer to use less energy with some special firmware for the UM2:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases/tag/V19.03.1

Download the hex file about 5th blue link from the bottom.  Make sure it says "plus".  NOT "dual".

Tinker-MarlinUltimaker2plus-19.03.1.hex

You need a USB connected from the printer to your computer to install firmware.  You can use Cura (or arduino ide) to install custom software.  It will ask for this hex file.

Once the new firmware is installed, find the "power budget" feature.  I believe the default budget is:

nozzle: 25W

bed: 150W

total budget: 175W

Only mess with the total budget.  Lower that by 50W (50 watts).  That will reduce the power only to the heated bed.