Brand new just out of the box and Printcore 1 not working

Posted · Brand new just out of the box and Printcore 1 not working

Hi,

I just unboxed my Utilmaker S5. Printcore 2 works fine, when I tried to load Printcore 1, it never made it to the extruder. I tried to load and unload several times, it would make it about an inch from the extruder in the tube.  I swapped out the extruder, and same thing happened. I put the Tough Black PLA in Printcore 2 with the AA extruder and its working fine. Any ideas what could be jamming it up? 

Agree to go to support, but the first step for me would be to wait for material to creep up feeder tube, if it's just creeping along and looks stalled.           

Or disengage the feed sprocket and manually feed it the last inch. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did try to contact support but they haven't responded.  Will try again today. As a teacher, I have very little time to handle tech issues. 

Not sure what is going on.  Some thoughts:

1) Maybe post a 10 second video to youtube and post a link.

2) Is your filament 2.85mm diameter? I think maybe 1% of the 3mm filament sold out there is actually intentionally 3mm and can reach 3.1mm and 3.1mm will definitely get stuck in the bowden tube.  If it's  "tough black pla" then it's probably Ultimaker brand which of course is 2.85mm diameter.

3) Feed it by hand.  Just open the lever, slide the filament through the tube. It should offer almost no resistance in the tube itself.  If there is resistance you will have a massive clue.  The bowden tubes come off pretty easily.

4) you can get a very thin string of filament at the tip and might not even notice it if you don't look carefully.  That can get bent over and jam inside the bowden.

5) Did the lever get left up by accident?  The feeder won't feed the filament unless the lever on the feeder is in the down position.

6) Did you take the feeder apart and put it back on?  It's extremely common for people to do the tension parts wrong (3 parts - screw, plastic, spring).  Screw needs to end up *inside* the housing. It's not intuitive.  Look at the tension indicator on both feeders.  It should be in the middle.

3 hours ago, jcanning1 said:

I did try to contact support but they haven't responded.  Will try again today. As a teacher, I have very little time to handle tech issues. 

Can you share your support case number and I can check with the Support Manager on this for you.