Cura 5.7.0 won't slice a model that fits on the Ender 3 Max Neo build plate/says its too big

dyeatman

Posted · Cura 5.7.0 won't slice a model that fits on the Ender 3 Max Neo build plate/says its too big

I created two parts that were near the max X limit (setting is for Ender 3 Max Neo 300x300) and the slicer won't accept it. 

The original was 298mm in the X direction and 175mm in the Y direction that it wouldn't accept.so I reduced it down to 285mm and it still wouldn't accept it.

I then brought it down to 253mm, no luck.  However, if I scale the 253 model in Cura to 95% it will slice.

The full size version slices with no problem in Creality Slicer and two others. The project I attached is the 253mm version.

CURA Screenshot 2024-04-25.png

Exhaust vent bottom modified.3mf

Posted · Cura 5.7.0 won't slice a model that fits on the Ender 3 Max Neo build plate/says its too big

I didn't have any trouble slicing it.

What version of Cura are you using?  The Ender 3 definition file has changed over time and some of the early definitions had "disallowed areas" that were reserved for the bed hold-down clips.  Changing the build plate size in Cura would not change the disallowed areas as they were hard coded in the definition file.

This is in 5.7.1.

image.thumb.png.ece2bd67dae89dc46e9cebaedc09d4ba.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am using 5.7.0.  I'll try 5.7.1   Thanks!

I removed 5.7.0 and all its data files including the ones under AppDate then installed 5.7.1  It still won't accept the file at 100%.  If I try to scale down from 100% to 99% it won't work. But if I scale it down to 95% then scale it up one percent at a time I can get it to 99% but not 100%. 

Well that's pretty bizarre.

When you installed your printer in Cura which definition did you use?  When I open that project file it uses a standard Ender 3 with a bigger bed.

Here is a project file with your model.  The printer name is slightly different.  If you get an option to allow Cura to install a new printer - do it.  If you have done any customizing to your printer setup in Cura (StartUp Gcode, etc.) you don't want it to get over-written by this project file.

GV Exhaust vent bottom modified.3mf

I think there is a small disallowed area around the edge (look at the dark grey) by default but I can't remember why off the top of my head (I'm using a custom definition for my E3V3SE so I know there's no disallowed areas):

image.thumb.png.bce5eef434796576741aa35c8a2ee7c7.png

Okay, scratch that "can't remember why": it's "machine_nozzle_tip_outer_diameter" in the machine definition. Most files don't overwrite it so they just use the value from fdmprinter (the base definition almost all machines are based on) which is 1. If I override it in my machine definition to 0.0, then I can get my cube up to 219.9x219.9mm on my 220x220mm build plate:

image.thumb.png.ccd14fbbdfab9266f593ccb721de8822.png