problem infill ultimaker 2+ connect

Go to solution Solved by catalancabreado,

Posted · problem infill ultimaker 2+ connect

Good night

I have had an ultimaker 2+ connect for about 3 years and it has worked very well for me.

Recently, I have been experiencing serious problems printing parts. The part starts to print and fill correctly, but after 3 or 4 extrusion passes, the filament does not fill correctly. The walls normally extrude well.

I have checked the extruder and tensioned it. Checked and tensioned belts and lubricated all axles. Nozzle changed, same result. Another filament, same result. Factory reset same result. Other gcode same result. Clean installation of cure with the latest version, same result

Say that I have been using technical material (fiberglass) about 5kg with the ruby mouthpiece. I can see wear on the metal grinder in the extruder, although I don't know if it is enough for this to happen.

I would also be interested in improving or updating any part if necessary.

Has anyone had this problem?

Thank you

a3bc5405-9281-4568-85fd-702f04858a2a.jpg

It's a known problem that if you use glassfill (GF) or carbonfill (CF) filaments it can grind down your feeder teeth.

Here's how you test your feeder:

insert filament only half way down the feeder.  Have the feeder engage - I don't know how to do that on the connect but on some UM printers there is a MOVE command.  Turn that enough for the motor to engage.

Now pull down hard on the filament.  On a working, good UM2+ feeder it takes about 10-15 (about 6 kg) pounds of force to get the filament to slip through the feeder.

I recommend lifting a 10 pounds/5kg weight before and after you get the filament to slip.  Or you can squeeze a weight against the filament to see if the feeder can hold the weight.

Other common problems on a UM2 that happen after 3 years:

replace the teflon part.  Especially if you have been printing at temps above 210C.  It may look fine but it gets soft where it touches the heater block.  This part should be replaced about once every 500 hours of printing.

Check the front fan (not the side fans).  Make sure it spins as soon as the nozzle is > 60C.  The symptom for a broken fan is that it prints fine for 5-20 minutes and then starts to fail.

I have a list of >20 other possiblities but start with these 3.

18 hours ago, gr5 said:

It's a known problem that if you use glassfill (GF) or carbonfill (CF) filaments it can grind down your feeder teeth.

Here's how you test your feeder:

insert filament only half way down the feeder.  Have the feeder engage - I don't know how to do that on the connect but on some UM printers there is a MOVE command.  Turn that enough for the motor to engage.

Now pull down hard on the filament.  On a working, good UM2+ feeder it takes about 10-15 (about 6 kg) pounds of force to get the filament to slip through the feeder.

I recommend lifting a 10 pounds/5kg weight before and after you get the filament to slip.  Or you can squeeze a weight against the filament to see if the feeder can hold the weight.

Other common problems on a UM2 that happen after 3 years:

replace the teflon part.  Especially if you have been printing at temps above 210C.  It may look fine but it gets soft where it touches the heater block.  This part should be replaced about once every 500 hours of printing.

Check the front fan (not the side fans).  Make sure it spins as soon as the nozzle is > 60C.  The symptom for a broken fan is that it prints fine for 5-20 minutes and then starts to fail.

I have a list of >20 other possiblities but start with these 3.

Thank you very much for your help.

I'm definitely going to upgrade the ptfe piece. I have seen that Solex 3d makes a higher quality one (it seems to be). Do you recommend this part or the original one from Ultimaker?

On the other hand, I have been looking to update the extruder since I work with technical materials very often. I said I used 5kg of fiberglass but possibly it has another 5kg more of carbon fiber and some other abrasive material, in addition to about 15kg more of petg, pla,...

Do you know if Bondtech DDG V2 Extruder is compatible with my ultimaker 2+ connect? It is not clear to me whether it is or not with this variant. If not, it would also be worth knowing if, for example, the extruder of an S3 or S5, which I believe the gear is made of tempered steel, is plug and play and can be used.

I have verified that the fan works perfectly, although I think a cleaning would not hurt when I change the PTFE piece.

Thank you 🙂

• Solution

I have increased the extruder force to 3/4 to drive the filament.

So far this has worked for me and I have quality in extrusion again.

Anyway, I'm going to buy some things like the Bondtech extruder, the PTFE coupler and a new tube to have all the material and perform maintenance, since I really think the biggest problem is the wear on the extruder.

Thank you!