Weird lines during prints

Posted · Weird lines during prints

Hello guys,

So I have created this Hex Penholder with name on it. I created it in Fusion 360. So when it prints its not clean, it has some weird lines. How can I avoid this?

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-29 at 9.18.07 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-29 at 9.18.07 PM.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Weird lines during prints

Looks like it might have been a bad spot in the filament, or something in the printer mechanicals.

All those lines relate to the area where the white spots are...

1b.thumb.png.332d57a4da2ec483452bae8a5f55a644.png

I was thinking maybe something stuck in the nozzle and then cleared itself, but if that was it it should have wrapped all around.

Still, it looks like something changed and then everything was good again.

Edited by GregValiant

When a wall has letters in it then there is a lot of direction changes and herky-jerky movement right at the letter, and there is often some bouncing of the print head as it continues on the straight part of the wall (generally called "ringing").

What you have there almost looks like the printhead didn't follow the gcode instructions for a couple of extrusions.

I have read numerous Cura gcodes into AutoCAD and the problem won't be in the gcode.  Each extrusions will directly above the previous one.  That's one reason I'm still leaning towards a printer problem.  Is the Z height of the bad layers match up when you set them side by side?  I know the one model has a much larger problem area and it is really odd that it is only on the one wall rather than going all the way around.

What printer do you have?

No they dont match up actually. And I have another one printed on white filament. It has some lines too but since its white its not showing up that much. I have a Creality Ender-3 V3 KE

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-30 at 1.46.33 AM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-30 at 1.46.33 AM (1).jpeg

If they don't match up then it isn't likely a Z axis problem.

Zooming way in on the red ones it almost looks like a line was made with no extrusion.  Is that what it looks like up close?

Intermittent printing problems are like intermittent electrical problems on a vehicle.  They are tough to troubleshoot.  The fact that the problem starts part way up the print and then vanishes makes it tough to nail down.

I'll think on it but I'm pretty much out of ideas.

@GregValiant 

Thank you very much for trying your best to help me I really appreciate it 😊. I am actually very new to 3D printing so dont know much about these technical issues, hopefully there will be a solution. I have attached the STL and Ggode here if you need for any inspection.

CE3V3KE_Hex_Penholder_Haalah.gcode Hex_Penholder_Haalah.stl

I'll give you the same advice as I give anyone who buys an E3V3KE... or almost any recent printer from one of the big Chinese manufacturers. They seem to be in a pissing contest about who can make the fastest printer.

You don't want your printer to go fast. Most filaments have guides for the recommended print speed, often on the side of the spool. Unless you're using special high speed PLA you don't want to be going anywhere near max speed. PLA I usually run at about 60mm/s (even though my E3V3SE can go up to 250mm/s, a mere half of what the KE can do). TPU I often go as slow as 20mm/s.

In Cura if you go to Speed > Print Speed that's actually pretty confusingly named because it prints the infill at that speed (not so bad because you can't see it) and everything else at half that, so for PLA I set it to 120mm/s, so it does the walls and such at 60mm/s.

This is a print I made like last month using Creality Print Slicer (then I switched to Cura due to its popularity). Actually when I look at this it doenst have those weird lines except some crease lines 🤔

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-30 at 8.57.27 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-30 at 8.57.28 AM.jpeg