Pause Print - Ender 3 s1 Pro

Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Pause Print - Ender 3 s1 Pro

Hi -

am curious when running the pause print script in Cura. It runs the script and pause the print, however it will not resume when pressing the play button.  Am I missing something?

Thanks

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 2.47.24 AM.png

Are you running the printer over USB or putting the gcode file on an SD card? If you're printing over USB then the control panel on the printer probably won't make it resume; the printer is waiting for the computer to tell it to resume. If you're printing from the SD card I've never had a problem with my E3V2Neo or E3V3SE resuming just by pressing the control knob, doesn't even have to be in the right part of the UI.

Also, if you're running it over USB: you shouldn't be. USB printing is deprecated and no longer supported. It's a relic from the days when printers didn't even have enough processing power to read from a memory card. It's more susceptible to flaws in the print (if something else is pegging your computer's CPU, it can be slow to send commands which can stall the printer and a nozzle sitting around waiting is a recipe for flaws) or outright failed prints (computers crash).

Also worth noting:

• With your settings, it's immediately disengaging the stepper motors after it parks the print - this means that the print head and bed can be moved freely, if they're moved at all (or sometimes just a slight movement when re-engaging the motors) you'll get layer shift. Creality printers mostly don't respond to the "Keep motors engaged" command, but you can set the disarm timeout to something long like 14400 seconds (an hour) so you're in no rush to resume it before they disengage.
    • I don't know why you're pausing (often it's done to change colour) but with those settings it's set to turn off the hot end when it pauses and then heat it up after it unpauses before it continues the print. This takes time, but also has the problem that the nozzle tends to drool a little bit as it warms up (which is why it does the nose wipe before it starts a print). If you're changing filament, even if you get to it really quickly it can cool down enough that you can't purge the new filament. You should untick the "Use M109 for standby temperature" box and set the standby temperature to your printing temperature.

7 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Also, if you're running it over USB: you shouldn't be. USB printing is deprecated and no longer supported.

Now hold on... Octoprint.

e3s1p and pauses don't always play nice nice. I could not get pause to work reliably from SD card. The problem is with the "custom" firmware not really respecting the proper commands. It seems to be a thing with the "pro" printers and that fancy interface. My solution was an octoprint server and running all my prints through that (which uses USB to control the printer hence my argument with the ever correct slashee). Using that, all the printer controls are on my phone or webpage making it no issue to resume the prints. 

Posted (edited) · Pause Print - Ender 3 s1 Pro

Every so often I've been using pause at height script on my S1 Pro. I found using M0 didn't work but the using this configuration works for me when either printing from SD or via my BeagleCam (Thanks Rick Impey) .

FYI The Pause Layer of 99999 is just my way of disabling a pause when I'm not wanting to use it so that I don't have to delete & add the script again between uses.

I've also read of a strange bug that sometimes happens where when the printer pauses it continues to display the pause button instead of the resume button. Although I haven't experienced it I understand the workaround is to select one of the fields on the home screen as though you were going to change the value but exit without changing anything & the resume button should now be displayed

image.thumb.png.195247f3328a5c577e192cc223ebccba.png 

Missed a bit of config off the capture

image.png.99bcbd6a227f52f9f24389ad37f74b56.png

Edited by PartySausage
    Missed a bit of config off the capture

Posted (edited) · Pause Print - Ender 3 s1 Pro

M25 works on some of the Creality machines.  There is a glitch between the mainboard firmware and the LCD firmware that keeps commands that send messages to the LCD from working.

Some printers required a string of "do nothing" commands in the "Gcode after Pause" box.  The usual fix is to enter a string of M105 commands as M105,M105,M105,M105,M105.  That insured that if the processor does a "read ahead" that it just sees temperature requests rather than any movement commands.  Your M300 is the same sort of thing, just noisier.

Since you are using a couple of my post processors, here is my replacement for "Pause at Height".  Among other changes it has a checkbox to "disable" it without having to remove it from the list.  There are also new Unload, Reload, and Purge settings.

Let me know if there are any bugs.  At some point I'll put in a pull request to include this in Cura, but it needs more people to play with it before that happens.

EDIT:  It's attached below.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

When I've done my art prints from the SD card on my E3V3SE, M0 worked fine. The screen didn't update to say it was paused (blame Creality's crappy firmware - it won't even display messages sent with an M117) but just pushing the control knob resumed it.

When I've done it using OctoPrint (from storage on the OctoPrint server), it automatically blocks the M0 command and just doesn't send any further instructions to the printer until you click the resume button in the web interface. Actually pretty inconvenient compared to just pushing the button on the printer.

I've never tried running it through OctoPrint with the gcode on the SD card.

11 hours ago, jaysenodell said:

Now hold on... Octoprint.

Stop trying to complicate things. I was referring exclusively to printing through Cura, since the concept of USB printing as a whole cannot be deprecated and the printer does still support it then logically I must not have been referring to the system as a whole.

That's brill @GregValiant I'll check out the new version & thanks for your continued plugin work 

• Solution

And this is the sort of thing that happens when I scramble late at night.

The new "enable" box had a bug.  This one doesn't have that particular bug.

PauseAtLayer.zip

• Like 1
    • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, GregValiant said:

The new "enable" box had a bug.  This one doesn't have that particular bug.

Tip, from experience: edit your earlier post to remove the attached file. And consider giving them version numbers so if someone has a problem that's already been fixed... you get the idea.

• Like 1

GregValiant - It worked perfectly - will try again.. only issue was maybe too much filament comes out on the purge - Maybe a tad slower on the purge and not so much.. 

Going to give it a go again - apparently you have back out and on the touch screen and then play button resumes. Finally got the play button back with this new script.. this is great thanks.

Oh and had to change pause command to M25BQ - this is what brought the play button back. With the default settings it doesn't. 

Not sure if these are ideal with the purge amount #s, so any other numbers which you think might be ideal could work too. Thanks.. 

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 12.26.33 PM.png

The Unload and Reload numbers need to be adjusted to your machine.  The purge number needs to be adjusted to the filament.  For example if you are changing from white to red it will need to purge more than going from dark blue to black.

I didn't add the purge speed because I didn't deem it necessary.  Purge speed is hard coded to 200mm/min or 3.33mm/sec.  I can see where that would be too fast for some machines.

I think I'll add a formula based on the nozzle size and a print speed of 75mm/sec.  I'll post it when it's done.

I looked at the formulas and they already consider the nozzle size.

If the "reload" amount is too long then the filament will get to the nozzle before the speed slows to "purge speed".

As written, the script reloads 90% of the "reload amount" at max E speed, and then slows to Purge Speed (3.33mm/sec for a 0.4 nozzle) for the last 10% of the reload amount and for the Purge Amount.

So it sounds like your "reload" amount is too much.  Probably the Unload Amount as well.  The extruder should quit retracting just when the filament comes free.

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch this is great!!!

There were 6 pauses in these drink coasters.

image.thumb.png.169a19e09e3b3ab9a31d47568800f6a1.png

8 pauses in these shark fins.  6 color changes, two nuts inserted, and a 3/16" x 9" steel support rod (you can see it running at an angle).  The front portion is glued to the rear and the angle brackets connecting to the roof rack ties everything together.

The PETG has held up really well in the Florida sun (and on the roof of a car!!).  They've been on there for about a year.

I made regular shark fins out of gray PETG.  I want to do a Pirate motif with LED brake lights in the rear.  The PETG holds up, but I don't think I'd trust it in black.  Maybe with more steel reinforcement.

image.thumb.jpeg.dca662c1872d1d4ee6aa8cf02061b0f2.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow! That's amazing.. Beautiful prints What kind of printer do you have?

If we're playing show and tell I feel obligated to include at least one piece (8 changes):

image.thumb.jpeg.255dbc5ef525c51692d6ec1486eef84b.jpeg

• Like 1

So cool.. signage prints with but of all things something as functional like the fin to a surf board.. looks like you did the pause print too.. 

24 minutes ago, flight-commander said:

looks like you did the pause print too..

I don't know if anyone's daring enough to try hot-swapping filament while printing, but I'm not.

lol!!!