First Layer Doesn't Stick Properly

Posted · First Layer Doesn't Stick Properly

Hello Everyone,

I know it's a common problem and I've watched countless videos on youtube on how to solve this. I've used my printer for a few years now but this time I don't seem to be able to solve it. The first layer of my print, especially the large ones, does not stick to the bed properly. I've tried to change the temperature of the nozzle, change the temperature of the bed, do a manual levelling of the bed twice, use glue and hairspray on the bed to improve adhesion and then wipe it clean. Nothing.

It might be something very simple, would anyone be able to help?

Thank you in advance!

IMG_7560.jpg

IMG_7561.jpg

IMG_7562.jpg

IMG_7563.JPG

Hard to tell because the forum crushes image quality after you upload it but it looks like it's underextruding, very significantly in some parts. Have you calibrated the E steps for your printer?

(Also helpful to know to try and diagnose: what printer is it, what material is it, what temperature settings do you usually use)

If these are files that have printed fine before now then try cleaning the nozzle, check the front fan is working continuously at and above 40C or maybe you might need to dry the filament.

The first layer looks a little underextruded and you really want to squish hard to get things to stick.  How hard the first layer squishes is the most important thing by far but not the only thing.  some (not all) of the other things are removing surface oils (that come from your fingers probably), glue, brim, bed temp.

squish

1) This is a UM3 right (I don't think you answered slashee's question)?

2) Do you use active leveling (I don't on my UM3)?

Assuming you do manual leveling, turn the 3 bed screws CCW as seen from the bottom to move your bed up just a tiny bit.  Turn them all the same amount, about 1/2 turn.  This should increase squish without changing the "level" part of leveling.

material

Is this PLA?  I don't think you mention anywhere.  This is crucial information.

glue

3) Did you use hairspray recently?  I don't like hairspray much because it can get all over the printer and cause havok with all the moving parts.

bed temp

4) Do you have one of those contactless IR thermometers ($7 at harbor freight)?  I recommend you get one.  Check the bed temp with that by pointing straight down (any kind of angle will reflect and you'll get the wrong temp).  It should be 60C.  Your temp sensor on the bed may report 60C when the bed is actually only 30C.

Please respond to all 4 questions!