G-Code parts, where to modify?

Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted · G-Code parts, where to modify?

Hello! I'm pretty new to the Cura software and I was trying to read and understand the G-Code for some modifications I need to do. Basically I want to chance the inner filler of a sliced part but keep it's outer filling but I'm unsure of which part is it, reading through the G-Code I noticed we have SKIRT, WALL OUTER, WALL INNER and so on,, some of then appearing more than once,  my question is, which part is responsable for the outside of a part? And which for the inside? If I only want to alter the inside where should I write?

Posted (edited) · G-Code parts, where to modify?

I'm unsure of what you're trying to do, but the options you listed do the following:

Skirt: a line placed around your print, practically functioning as a priming method to make sure your material is ready for your print when the skirt is done - a skirt is not attached to your print. Alternative to this is a brim, where it *is* connected to your print, and may help prevent warping and aid overall build plate adhesion.

Outer wall is precisely that - the part of the wall that is on the outside part of your print.

Inner wall is also precisely what it states, they're the material that are part of the wall but are on the inside of the print.

What exactly do you define as outer infill?

Edited by PizzaTijd
    • Like 1

It sounds like you want to keep the skin but remove "infill".  You can do this with options in cura (disable infill).  You can even just disable the infill for regions of your print only.  But you can only modify the gcode file with a text editor but if you have the model (e.g. an STL file) then you can just change some cura settings.

Do you have access to the original model?  Or only the gcode?

• Like 1

It's more as if I want to leave some "empty" spaces on my part, I have a original CAD drawing that I've sliced thought CURA and got a G-Code out of it, but I want to modify the internal part so I have some blanks on it, for that I creater a smaller part on CAD, sliced through CURA and got another G-Code, Now I want to move the part of the G-Code that is responsible for the internal mapping to the other G-Code program.

Makes sense?

20 hours ago, gr5 said:

It sounds like you want to keep the skin but remove "infill".  You can do this with options in cura (disable infill).  You can even just disable the infill for regions of your print only.  But you can only modify the gcode file with a text editor but if you have the model (e.g. an STL file) then you can just change some cura settings.

Do you have access to the original model?  Or only the gcode?

I think that's kind of what I'm trying to do, more like remove the infill and substitute it with another infill, how do I disable it for some specific regions only?

I know exactly what you want.  I missed your earlier reply above.  You want mesh modifiers.  Google "cura mesh modifiers" and watch one of the videos.

• Solution

This video is okay but it shows a cube shaped modifier.  You can do any shaped modifier where you use a second STL as the modifier.  You can modify much more than just infill density.  You can modifier pattern.  You can modify about 100 cura settings but you have to search for and add the setting you want to change in the modifier dialog and THEN you have to set the seting to what you want.

18 minutes ago, gr5 said:

This video is okay but it shows a cube shaped modifier.  You can do any shaped modifier where you use a second STL as the modifier.  You can modify much more than just infill density.  You can modifier pattern.  You can modify about 100 cura settings but you have to search for and add the setting you want to change in the modifier dialog and THEN you have to set the seting to what you want.

THAT'S IT! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!