What problem am I having?

rgharris

Posted · What problem am I having?

Well, despite avidly hanging out on these boards while my Ultimaker 2 arrived, I have a slight problem ... but I'm not sure what it is (possibly underextrusion?). Problem solving and troubleshooting help would be greatly appreciated.

For the most part set up the UM2 was a very easy no hassles thing. Now I'm at the "I want to tweak for the best resolution" part. I'm certainly not complaining but I know the parts I want to print are going to require a decent amount of perfection.

Robot Ear

Robot 1

So here are pictures of the problem. Essentially overhanging bits such as the ears and underside of the front panel of the UM robot are rather manky looking.

Hope it's all pretty clear from the pictures.

Standard GCode that came with the SD Card.

I think I even printed it with the Standard 70C bed, 210C nozzle. I've subsequently lowed the bed temp to 60 but I'm seeing similar problems.

If I were to slice it myself, what settings should I use. I've pretty well familiarised myself with Cura.

It looks like fans aren't working. Or bed is at 75C. Or both.

To test the side fans, click PRINT, and choose any print then immediately go to TUNE and then set fans to 100%. The two side fans should come on. As long as you stay in TUNE menu it will not print. You can hit power switch when done to prevent the print from starting.

If the side fans aren't working then that's the issue. Slide up the black netting sleeve at the top of the print head and look at the 3 fan connectors. The wiring to the 3 fans each are black/red. The one with the short loop wire connecting two together are supposed to be for the side fans. The rear fan is always on - even before the lights come on.

The right side definitely looks worse - the right side doesn't get as much fan. I would re-slice this and make sure fans are at 100% by around 5mm off the bed. I think that's default. The gcode you are using probably has the fans coming on and off - that's some old slicer designed for ABS I think maybe. Kisslicer maybe?

I have the same problems out of the box with a UM2 extended.

I am convinced the right hand side of prints is much worse due to the offset distance to the cooling fan.

Since Ultimaker recently announced dual extrusion will not come to UM2, my empty nozzle hole is looking very redundant, and think print quality is suffering with PLA un-necessarily. Are there parts to make the print head symmetric and optimised for single nozzle extrusion?

Posted (edited) · What problem am I having?

I've just found this asymmetric fan duct for the single extruder from another thread and thinking of printing it in XT - has anyone tried it?

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-2-fan-mount-dual--2

Edited by Guest